ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Fatty's KTEC alternative induction setup that works just as well!

@The Fatty - did the filter come oiled?

Nope, the filter arrives as dry as a sponge that's been left in the oven for an hour.

Disclaimer: I bought mine (that exact filter & exact bend) over a year ago.

If you're after a recommendation, ITG Dust Retention Spray is brilliant IMO. Make no mistake it needs to be done more regularly than conventional oils (be it ITG, K&N etc) but it makes up for it by being so much faster and easier to apply.

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Hi all, can someone provide some guidance in terms of oiling the filter please? Is this a one off activity and what exactly are you oiling?

Thanks
Pete

Last edited:
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
according to RAMAIR, all there filters come 'pre impregnated' in between the layers, so no oil needed.

Ramair filters owe much of their dirt retaining properties to the unique advanced polymer treatment with which they are impregnated during manufacture. They can be given a new lease of life when they become heavily soiled by cleaning them thoroughly with Ramair polymer solvent cleaner and applying fresh Treatment to the foam filter material.

source: http://ramair-filters.co.uk/motorsport-accessories/air-filter-cleaning-kit-oil-cleaner.html

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
according to RAMAIR, all there filters come 'pre impregnated' in between the layers, so no oil needed.
Thats good they come pre oiled and ready to use, saves me buying oil. Will buy the ITG oil you suggested come cleaning time, although to be honest I might just bin it and buy a new filter as cleaning foam filters and reoiling is a ball ache

Arctic 182
Thats good they come pre oiled and ready to use, saves me buying oil. Will buy the ITG oil you suggested come cleaning time, although to be honest I might just bin it and buy a new filter as cleaning foam filters and reoiling is a ball ache

Sounds like a plan tbh, I may do this too. How many miles do people normally give it before cleaning/replacing filters? Or just when it looks dirty or clogged?

FF Titanium 182
no i dont think so. It says the bore is 70mm and wall thickness is 5mm, so 80 overall. If you want to use that, you will also need some 70mm joining bits to go inside each end of this, about 5cm worth, plus 2 more jubilee clips.

Isnt the bore the inside though? And the wall thickness how thick the piping is? If the bore is 70mm I would have thought it would slot straight on? Cheers

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Isnt the bore the inside though? And the wall thickness how thick the piping is? If the bore is 70mm I would have thought it would slot straight on? Cheers
slot straight on to what?, the inside bore of the filter is 70mm, same as the inside bore of the pipe - thus you will need metal joiners. On the alloy pipe, the outside diameter is 70mm.

FF Titanium 182
slot straight on to what?, the inside bore of the filter is 70mm, same as the inside bore of the pipe - thus you will need metal joiners. On the alloy pipe, the outside diameter is 70mm.
Ahh ive seen now the piping goes inside of the filter not on the outside that is where ive got it wrong! So I need one with a wall thickness of 2mm

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Ahh ive seen now the piping goes inside of the filter not on the outside that is where ive got it wrong! So I need one with a wall thickness of 2mm
? don't get confused with the metal pipe - that's measured on the outside diameter and the wall thickness is 2mm, so the internal bore is 64mm. With the pipe your looking at, you would need metal joiners because even if the pipe did fit, its not really strong enough to be clamping onto.

FF Titanium 182
? don't get confused with the metal pipe - that's measured on the outside diameter and the wall thickness is 2mm, so the internal bore is 64mm. With the pipe your looking at, you would need metal joiners because even if the pipe did fit, its not really strong enough to be clamping onto.
Yeah I see now the elbow you have listed is actually alluminium I thought that was just the look so I wanted a blue one! Il stick with the options youve listed! Btw whats the sound like?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Everything under 4K sounds a bit like a scooby, then it breaks into more of a roar. check out my youtube videos, I'm think there's a few on there with my on board camera which might give you an idea (although iirc the mic might have been a but close so clips sometimes) - https://www.youtube.com/user/thefattysplace

I agree, there is some marketing spiel with long words. It then goes on to explain that it should be oiled subsequently...

I'm not trying to knock your thread, as I said I've had this for over a year (saw a thread on CS lol) and it's great especially considering the price.

It's just they really do need oil quite regularly lol.

FF Titanium 182
Everything under 4K sounds a bit like a scooby, then it breaks into more of a roar. check out my youtube videos, I'm think there's a few on there with my on board camera which might give you an idea (although iirc the mic might have been a but close so clips sometimes) - https://www.youtube.com/user/thefattysplace

Sounds mint 2bh! Well impressed with that for the money! How man jubilee clips are needed? Going to have to order some up. Cheers

FF Titanium 182
I agree, there is some marketing spiel with long words. It then goes on to explain that it should be oiled subsequently...

I'm not trying to knock your thread, as I said I've had this for over a year (saw a thread on CS lol) and it's great especially considering the price.

What oil have you used and how often are you doing it bud?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

it says it needs oiling after you wash it, which should be about every 6months or 10K I expect? I have left mine for 2 years, and Dan@SJM said my tb was dirty when he changed my cambelt, but not the worse he's seen. I think if I have done it at the intervals above, it would have been clean.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Just measured the size of my filter, and these new ones (as expected) are smaller than mine - they are 2.5cm smaller at the wide end (but the same at the bottom end), and 5.5cm smaller in length. Mine has actually got damaged from rubbing on the headlight and connection box quite badly, so this new size is more ideal. :) If you did want the bigger size, you would have to move the battery as they don't appear to do them with an offset anymore.

Just measured the size of my filter, and these new ones (as expected) are smaller than mine - they are 2.5cm smaller at the wide end (but the same at the bottom end), and 5.5cm smaller in length. Mine has actually got damaged from rubbing on the headlight and connection box quite badly, so this new size is more ideal. :smile: If you did want the bigger size, you would have to move the battery as they don't appear to do them with an offset anymore.

So are you saying the both links that you provided won't fit correctly. Not sure if ive read ur comment right lol

FF Titanium 182
So are you saying the both links that you provided won't fit correctly. Not sure if ive read ur comment right lol
I dont think so I just think hes saying the filter itself is smaller... well im hoping!

FF Titanium 182
Yeah im pretty sure that is what he means, so hopefully should look and fit even better!

Yeah .. lookin forward to getting it on there.. been thinking of a setup for a while was worried about heat soak but according to the link posted earlier up in the thread it should be fine

Oh yea im quite happy with that of what fat has posted up thanks for the links tho.. how does yours sound