ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Fatty's KTEC alternative induction setup that works just as well!

HAHAHA how did you come to that conclusion? In the past I've used cotton (K&N, Jetex, universal), foam (ITG & Pipercross) & dry-flow (AEM fibrous type material) and all do a similar job in reality, some will filter a tad better, others will flow a tad more, and they all sound a little different too. From what I've read you want a filter with a decent surface area to suck as much air as possible, especially with an N/A engine.

I mean.. i guess i just jumped to that conclusion, just by the way it looks 😂😂

So is that filter huge then?
Also, I'm a bit of a brand freak... don't ask me why... well, maybe it's because i grew up poor 😂, but now I can afford a branded product, I choose that over a non branded one 🙈

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I would still go for a branded one for piece of mind tbh. Yeah the none branded one maybe just fine but for an extra tenner imo its what I would do. Unless someone found a cheap one and it proved to filter aswell as the slightly more expensive one.

It's not like these cars are that sensitive or restricted even as standard. People even run the filter off the side off the throttle body with no issues. Yeah you 'may' get heat soak but we don't live in a desert.

I would still go for a branded one for piece of mind tbh. Yeah the none branded one maybe just fine but for an extra tenner imo its what I would do. Unless someone found a cheap one and it proved to filter aswell as the slightly more expensive one.

It's not like these cars are that sensitive or restricted even as standard. People even run the filter off the side off the throttle body with no issues. Yeah you 'may' get heat soak but we don't live in a desert.
I've had universal ones in the past with no issues (short term), but as you say you'd never really know how many particles they where letting through without proper testing or long term use. Probably not worth the risk to save £10-15 as you say.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
How are well all securing these then? Been running mine for around 6 months now with it just hanging and wedged under the battery ground wire. Is it a case of zipties to the nearest panel or what? Noticed the rubber on my ramair is starting to split at the neck as well which is annoying :/

BMW 320d SE
Just been out installing mine as the polished pipe came today:
4C56B2F5-B32B-4D99-BBDA-847C24F87A31_zps78hsqgqi.jpg

Didn't need cable ties as it's wedged in tightly between the battery and headlight. The pipe rests against the metal where the old air feed went, which is a little annoying as it will scratch it but all in an easy setup. Been for a very quick drive and definitely more throaty sounding above 3k rpm but not as loud as I had imagined. A whole lot neater than the oem setup.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has a note change at 2.5k as well as 5k.

May try and get a video later in the week.

Also, I've put a bit of rubber strip on the brace so that it doesn't rub. Not really noticeable on mine as i have silicone pipes but it's worth a try on the ally bends.

20170130_173016.jpg

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Planning on putting my kit in this weekend. Any thoughts on how far you need to drive after you've installed it for the ECU to fully adapt? (read about this earlier in the thread).

I only ask because I'm thinking of doing a RR day soon.

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Fair enough mate. Does your car move?? Not seen you around Pompey.
Haha yup, everyday! Only Southsea to Hilsea though for work, plus frequent drives in the country roads around here.

Fatty Kit fitted (with the larger RamAir filter). Initial thoughts:

Love the sound!!! Makes it a lot deeper and more meaningful. Only really kicks in above 3000rpm with a decent amount of throttle. Cruises quietly on the motorway still so hasn't ruined everyday driving.

I was worried about a loss of performance, and it has definitely changed. Initially it bogged down a bit before the 5k kick, but after driving for a while it all seemed to smooth out. I honestly couldn't say if there is more or less power now (which is a good thing). However the 5k kick seems smoother than with the standard airbox. Anyone else think this?

BMW 320d SE
Pulled away earlier today and heard a metallic clanging sound. Thought I'd snapped a spring! Turns out the jubilee clip had popped off the air filter neck and was rattling around on the alloy bend! The twisting of the engine on its 12 year old mounts must have shaken it loose.

Clio 182
Ordered a fatty induction set up yesterday then started thinking how would a 90mm reduced to 70mm elbow work out if you could get one?
With the reduction in pipe diameter speeding up air flow?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
has anyone tried straightening out the route from filter to intake at throttle body. Is it possible to? - I mean by maybe using a flexible hose with less sharp angles- would that improve air flow. Right angles may affect smooth airflow.

Anyone tried ducting air from a vent (Side or bonnet scoop) direct into the throttle body rather than just from the engine bay- albeit near the batterys where ducts can be fitted from fogs. May get my existing set up (Not oem) measured on the Dyno at Surrey Rolling road day, then try something else

Nitrous ox anyone?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Obviuosly nice cold air adds perfromance- why nitrous is so good. Not sure if bendy or straight ducts would help performance or not
So maybe in the winter a nice straight duct through to the throttle body, see what happens

Mind you, i accept that most induction kits add nothing than a nice appearance and a bit of nice noise. But the noise is fun.....

Spoke to an enginner a couple years back, was trying to devise a way of chilling incoming air, quick enough to supply the engine for combustion

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Does anyone have the modern items I can get for this setup on my motor as obviously all the links are outraged and the original pics have since been removed. Thanks in advance.

182 CUP
Does anyone have the modern items I can get for this setup on my motor as obviously all the links are outraged and the original pics have since been removed. Thanks in advance.
I have all the kit for sale if you want it mate.

clio 182
Just about to order this setup, Ramair do 2 different sizes of the 70mm filter, one is bigger then the other, In the original post Fatty made the link he has put up is for the smaller filter, but will the bigger filter fit? I suppose the bigger the better really lol, i have added links for both filters.

Smaller one : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390629059729?clk_rvr_id=1214034802651&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Larger one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAMAIR-IN...467084?hash=item51c2cb7e8c:g:-PYAAOSw5ZBWGMCg

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
And make sure the offset means more room as dead centre means no matter how you affix it, it will be same distance away from battery.

Clio 172 cup
Is the Ramair filter the nicest sounding for this setup ? Heard people say the ktec is a good sound ,wondering where ktec source there filters from ?