ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

timing belt kit, aux belt, dephaser pulley...

renault clio cup 172
Surely he can tell you exactly which bits he normally uses then?

have never asked him as hes snowed under atm with work, thats why he said a would be better getting a hold of the parts a need, a will just get what have stated along with cam seals and core plugs even though a thought they were the same things.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The core plugs are the covers that go in the gearbox end of the head.
The seals sit behind the pulleys and shouldnt need changing generally.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
ust got my cup back from Birchdown after replacing the dephaser. Feels/sounds like im driving a rolls royce after a month of driving with the noisiest engine ever. You won't believe how better it feels when its done. £450 all in boxed off.

renault clio cup 172
a will purchase the all above along with the core plugs and cam seals and get them done aswell, as a said its no rush to get done by my uncle as hes only taken £80 for the job (my fav uncle) for now lol.. time a get back on my feet after my operation it will all be sorted and ready to go:race:

Lionel Richie
The core plugs are the covers that go in the gearbox end of the head.
The seals sit behind the pulleys and shouldnt need changing generally.

we ALWAYS change them as we've seen them leak on several occasions, for the sake of £25 its silly not to (we include it in our price)

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Birchdown did my cambelt and dephaser last autumn. The difference in the engine was amazing. I've heard a few F4-R engines that have a whirring bearing noise. Now I know it's the dephaser that's making the noise. It's certainly made the engine so much quieter and it performs much better from cold

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
we ALWAYS change them as we've seen them leak on several occasions, for the sake of £25 its silly not to (we include it in our price)

Certainly cheap insurance.
Even If only one in ten leak then for the sake of 25 quid it's better than having one come back to you again.

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I agree with Fred on this one and also build them in to my costings. They're on for around 5yrs and like all seals they have a finite lifespan. Just had a 182 in from Leicester that needed the dephaser following a "recent" belt change (Which allowed me to get some pictures of why the "TipEx" method doesn't always work) and that was leaking from the dephaser seal rather badly. It was fitted correctly and still had the factory marks on it but had saturated the timing belt area after covering 74k... plus they come in the bloody fixing kit so there's honestly no excuse.

Mick

Liquid Yellow R27
How do you know when you need this fixing? My car has had the timing belt and aux belt done, but not the dephaser pulley (all before I brought it by the previous owner). I am hearing a bit of a whirring noise when putting my foot down. Could this be it?

renault clio cup 172
How do you know when you need this fixing? My car has had the timing belt and aux belt done, but not the dephaser pulley (all before I brought it by the previous owner). I am hearing a bit of a whirring noise when putting my foot down. Could this be it?

mines sounds more like a tractor/diesel.. and it also idles over quiet lumpy.. if your not to sure have a look on youtube theres a few videos on there people have uploaded showing you what it sounds like when the dephaser pulley has gone.