ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To all 200 owners

RS200
Right had my 200 for about 3 months now and absolutely love it! planning a trip to the ring in feb/march and go brands hatch or bedford to get the most out of it and justify speccing the recaros!
I find it so frustrating driving the car around town and not being able to use all the power above 5k rpm.
Only a few niggles one very minor one is the speedo, say i set cruise control to 70 mph the needle seems to hover just above 70 does anyone else notice this?
its not just at 70 it seems to be any speed.
could just be the tilt of the dials. Also the sound system doesnt go very loud and ive got squeeky breaks but that probably my fault!
just thought i,d share that with you all :p

320d
I agree with the over 5K thing its like that on all RS Clio's. Untill your on a national speed limit road you can't use the power atall because of the way its delivered you have to be going over 40 to use the power.

Its f**king brilliant once on a national speed limit road though.

BMW F21 125d
Cruise in the same on my 182, if i set it at 30, it'll be an indicated 32 on the dash. But according to sat nav, cruise is correct for me.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
cruise is the same for me in my 200 mate, and i totally agree with the 5k revs, its annoys the hell out of me that i can never open it up!! im going to the ring this year aswell in my 200 and i agree about the sound system, its very very quiet, it goes up to 32 but it needs to go up to about 45 in my opinion, and yeh my brakes squeek aswell, just the weather i think

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Cruise cuts out error on the speedo that's all, as it's true speed. My cruise is 1mph more than on the sat nav at 77.

PS 200
Also the sound system doesnt go very loud

I did warn you ;)

The normal stereo isnt loud enough? hmm sounded ok when i used it in the showroom.

Probably horse in some sort of amp in the summer :).

As for niggles - the wipers are too close to the bonnet and scratch the paintwork when you lift them for washing the car.

Other than that car's fantastic :)

Meg 250/E36 Touring
The 200's go pretty well below 5k though!! You can make very swift progress using the mid range grunt and relying on the peachy chassis:approve:

Only fault with the 200 I drive is the rear fog light turns itself on every so often (no its not me!) and the fuel computer defaults to how much fuel has been used.

Oh well.....

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
yeh they are awesome though, love the noise it makes aswell, because i used to have a 1L polo its such a great change, i keep wanting to change at 4k because of the noise then i realise ive got another 4k revs to use lol

clio 200 /08 subaru
i love my 200 in ly ,does anybody have a slight flat spot at around 3000 to 3500 ,it bursts my ti*s
lights on dip not great other wise i love it to bits . better to drive than my 08 sti
cheers geo:race::race::race::race::race:

GTD, Lupo
Good post.

I have just about done 8k miles now so must be one of the higher millage ones. Maybe i should start a post asking if i have the highst millage 200s :D

Car is amazing and i enjoy every drive i also have one or two little issues and decided to give the garage i got it from a little time off over crimbo as im sure they are sick of the sight of me.

First one is the brakes, as you are also getting my front brakes squeck a lot, almost all the time at low speed. I have just put this down to the fact they are big. I also seem to get a heavy build up of corrosion on the disks but at the moment im putting this down to road salt.

When the car is cold i get a knocking noise coming from the rear when i change gear, whichy sounds a little like the exhaust popping. Stops when warmed up so not to bothered.

The car is very drafty inside and the drivers door is always cold . Footwells never warm up and i always have cold feet. :( Might be a seal issue but the car is under 2 foot of snow at the moment so it will have to wait.

And as for the stereo have you gone through the options and put the LOUD setting to on?

Gorms
"

BMW 320d M-Sport
Agree with the speedo comments - same in the 197. And then it reads completely different to the sat nav when I have that in the car! Don't share the stereo issues however as I have the 197's optional Cabasse system which has been great!

The cruise also frustrates me as you can't sit at 30 or 40MPH has to be 29/31 or 39/41 :S

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Good post.

I have just about done 8k miles now so must be one of the higher millage ones. Maybe i should start a post asking if i have the highst millage 200s :D

Car is amazing and i enjoy every drive i also have one or two little issues and decided to give the garage i got it from a little time off over crimbo as im sure they are sick of the sight of me.

First one is the brakes, as you are also getting my front brakes squeck a lot, almost all the time at low speed. I have just put this down to the fact they are big. I also seem to get a heavy build up of corrosion on the disks but at the moment im putting this down to road salt.

When the car is cold i get a knocking noise coming from the rear when i change gear, whichy sounds a little like the exhaust popping. Stops when warmed up so not to bothered.

The car is very drafty inside and the drivers door is always cold . Footwells never warm up and i always have cold feet. :( Might be a seal issue but the car is under 2 foot of snow at the moment so it will have to wait.

And as for the stereo have you gone through the options and put the LOUD setting to on?

Gorms
"

i get the same noise from my rear when i set off, happens when i just set off but as soon as it gets warm its fine

PS 200
The only thing that annoys me is that 6th gear should be a m/way cruiser gear - something that allows 70/80 at 2,500 rpm rather than 4,000 ish.

mind you - I'm hardly ever on a motorway - B-roads commute :)

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
The only thing that annoys me is that 6th gear should be a m/way cruiser gear - something that allows 70/80 at 2,500 rpm rather than 4,000 ish.

mind you - I'm hardly ever on a motorway - B-roads commute :)

couldnt agree more, but once it levels out (after sitting at 70 for 30seconds) it goes abit quieter and feels alot nicer and im still surprised that i can bang it in 3rd at 70 and not have it hit the limiter! thats when i get bored of going 70 in 6th and want some serious acceleration ;) (waits for the CS police to moan) lol

clio 200 /08 subaru
Oooo, pics of the LY please. What options did you go for?

i opted for cup pack suspension and recaro seats
seats are great, suspension brill, great feel turn in brill .i deal in suspension on subarus this set up rocks
DSCF3001.jpg

DSCF3000.jpg

DSCF2995.jpg

DSCF2994.jpg

DSCF2996.jpg

my hatch sti
DSCF2668.jpg

DSCF3010.jpg

DSCF3003.jpg

DSCF3002.jpg

DSCF3004.jpg

DSCF3006.jpg

guess what make of sill covers are fitted to my scoob
the clio is a better car to drive than the scoob but the sti goes like fook
got hid lights to fit, rear spoiler and sills //prolong oil in engine at 1000 miles and put in g/box now also .I am a Prolong dealer , if any body wants info pm me
cheers geo

RS200
The cruise also frustrates me as you can't sit at 30 or 40MPH has to be 29/31 or 39/41 :S[/quote]

Yeah that is annoying i know what you mean!
As for the LOUD setting, yes i turned that on the day i got it.
And when i picked the car up i was told by the dealer to always lift the bonnet before lifting the wipers otherwise they will scratch the bonnet.
Ive had no problems with a drafty cabin but have found that when cold it has almost no power and is very jumpy. I never go above 3000 rpm when the engine is cold anyway.
This snow is making for some wicked handbreak turns in the work carpark! haha
And ive learnt not to take the traction control off in the snow! lol
Brown pants moment
I found sitting at 70 and the engine is quite intrusive but cruise at 85 and its a lot quieter.
And jasey yes you did warn me! haha I just thought the sound option was a con.

Last edited:
  Clio 200 Black and White
My 200 should arrive in the next couple of weeks - can't wait and reading all your positive reviews is just making the excitement build!

Quick question on the stereo loudness; is this just the case for the standard spec stereo or does it also affect the optional unit?

Interesting to hear that some of the foibles of the earlier Renaultsports haven't really been addressed. I've owned a 182 FF and Trophy and noticed the same issues with the cruise control, poor running when cold and high revving top gear. I had hoped the 6th gear would take of that one at least, but guess renaultsport decided to use the extra ratio to promote accelleration rather than motorway cruising. Ho hum ;)

Question: can you fit fully grown human beings in the back of the 200 or are you restricted to legless midgets a la 182?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
i opted for cup pack suspension and recaro seats
seats are great, suspension brill, great feel turn in brill .i deal in suspension on subarus this set up rocks
DSCF3001.jpg

DSCF3000.jpg

DSCF2995.jpg

DSCF2994.jpg

guess what make of sill covers are fitted to my scoob
got hid lights to fit, rear spoiler and sills //prolong oil in engine at 1000 miles and put in g/box now also .I am a Prolong dealer , if any body wants info pm me
cheers geo

I saw a LY 200 sometime ago at Lookers in Chester really loved it. When they come down a bit I think I'll give one a go.

Clio 200 Black and White
cheers geo

better to drive than the STI? Seriously? That'd be impressive, explain?

Great spec by the way, recaros and LY, weren't pulling punches at the dealer were you!

PS 200
better to drive than the STI? Seriously? That'd be impressive, explain?

Great spec by the way, recaros and LY, weren't pulling punches at the dealer were you!
I've had 3 Imprezas Turbo, WRX & STi - The 200 is certainly more fun to drive once rolling - the problem with the STi is that you have to be doing silly speeds before you feel you are getting involved with the car - the 200 allows for much more "fun" at lower speeds.

Mind you - hard to beat the straight line / bendy line acceleration of the STi :cool:

HTZ

RS200 with Cup suspension
The 200's go pretty well below 5k though!! You can make very swift progress using the mid range grunt and relying on the peachy chassis:approve:

Only fault with the 200 I drive is the rear fog light turns itself on every so often (no its not me!) and the fuel computer defaults to how much fuel has been used.

Oh well.....

Happened to me yesterday for the first time. Very strange! Back in 2002 had a Clio dci which use to do the same thing with the trip computer, except everything would be reset to zero.

HTZ

HTZ

RS200 with Cup suspension
Good post.

Gorms
"

10850 miles :D

Meg 250/E36 Touring
Happened to me yesterday for the first time. Very strange! Back in 2002 had a Clio dci which use to do the same thing with the trip computer, except everything would be reset to zero.

HTZ

Ah, so i'm not imagining it!!

just under 9k here AND a cracked windscreen:rolleyes:

Clio 200
knocking noise at the back when you set off is more than likely the handbrake, apparently 197's have the same issue?

Mine does the same

Abarth 500 Essesse
Just a quick one guys whilst we have some 200 owners in the same place. How are your lots gearboxes? I have found mine to be quite notchy going into 2nd. Has any one found this to be the case?

The 200 is a really good car though but I have been annoyed by some little niggly faults, Including squeky breaks as mentioned above.

The speedo being different by a couple of mph to the crusie control is normal. Was the same in the 182

Clio 200
I only have the second gear issue when cold, fine once its heated up but not that bad tbh.

I also have the squeeky brake syndrom, but again very rarely does it and usually only when cold.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The cold weather seems to bring out the worse in most cars anyway does it not?

Renaults are especially bad right enough

Clio 200
tbh Danny the problems are that small that I forget about them, if and when they become constant I will have a rant about it,.

On another note Renault fixed my passenger seat belt that they fitted the wrong way round lol it was the buckle hitting the plastic that was driving me up the wall.

RS200
yeah between 25-28mpg average. 34 on a cruise and about 23 on when my right foot is feeling heavy.
I do actually get a knocking when i take the handbrake off but only one knock then thats it.
Also i do find it a pain to get it into second gear especially when ur red lining it in first i find i really have to chuck it into second or an embarasing bounce off the limiter follows. :p

Clio 172 Cup
Quick question on the stereo loudness; is this just the case for the standard spec stereo or does it also affect the optional unit quote]

I've got the optional unit and don't have any issues with the loudness of the 4GB USB stick I use, gotta tweak the settings but the loudness and sound is respectable for my non-audiophile ears.