ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyo R888's

Silver Clio 172 Cup
^+1 here too.

Not really overdriving the tyres - they last well and wear evenly and I try to drive cleanly rather than aggressively. Sounds like I'm probably running them a bit high at mid-30's hot though. They can easily get over 45 from starting at 30 cold (cheapo pressure guage though!).

M2 Competition
i get 3 to 4 track days on my fronts and 2 after spa :eek: but it was good fun ;) they seem to be a good track tyre but i stay out on them for to long i end up doing 30 to 50 min stints then i have a 10 min breather and then i go back out there .

Lol at doing 50min stints!!

jimroylelv1.jpg

My arse!!

Silver Clio 172 Cup
JamesS - you seem to know your stuff so I'd be keen to pick up whatever I can to improve things. It sounds like those pressures are pretty extreme but I don't think I'm doing anything that exceptional with the tyres!

In your post above you mentioned an assumed cold pressure of 30psi set at 20 deg c. It was a really cold day at Donington last time out when I got those readings (ice on track to start with). Does it make any difference if the starting pressure is set at such a low temperature?

I sometimes carry a bit too much speed in to some corners but I do my best to avoid it, and I don't think I'm too heavy-footed on exit either (I'm no driving god, but I take as much tuition as I can and I'm slowly getting better!). I sometimes lean pretty heavily on the brakes (not locking or anything daft, but braking pretty deep) and I guess Donington has fairly high speed corners - would a combination of these things cause big pressure increases, or is there something a bit more fundamental going wrong?

M2 Competition
Dont go by numbers with pressure, it'll vary so much throughout the day.

Do a few laps, see how much scrubbing you get on sidewalls.

Aim for about 1/3 - 1/2 of sidewall and you'll prob be at the right pressure.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
eh? to scrub your way half way up the (stiff) sidewalls on 888s you'd either have to have them running flat or be cornering hard enough to rip the hubs off!

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
sorry to drag up an old thread... JamesS, very interesting. You seem to know your mustard.

I found the storage info very interesting. I never knew this about the R888, and yes i've left mine in a shed over winter - covered and it's dry but i've experienced this cracking.

I'm hoping a good few laps with help get the rubber back to being supple. it this possible or should that tyre softner be used?

Cue,

It may be worth your while reading http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/TireStorage.pdf

I'm not sure exactly the best thing to do with your tyres, but I would recommend bringing them in out of the cold asap and inspect them to see how deep the cracking is. If it's not too deep your should be able to salvage them.

I don't think it's worth bothering with tyre softener. I think this is likely to end up doing more harm then good.

I think your best bet is going to be to fit them to the car, and drive it to warm them up very slowly. Pause regularly to inspect them and see what condition they're in. If it looks as though it's not getting worse, slowly up the speed and see how they hold up.

I know all I have said is common sense, but if you start going at all quickly straight off, you will tear them apart.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
James i'd like to know what qualifies you to be such an expert on tyres? you sound like you know what your talking about, but how do you know so much?

I just want to know as you get a lot of 'experts' on here.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
to be fair his explanations tally with what i've experienced over the last 10+ years on track.

James i'd like to know what qualifies you to be such an expert on tyres? you sound like you know what your talking about, but how do you know so much?

I just want to know as you get a lot of 'experts' on here.

fuel_slut,

At no point have I claimed to be an 'expert' on tyres. I have replied to people's questions where I feel qualified to answer, and given my opinion where appropriate.

People have knowledge in different areas, and this just happens to be an area I know quite a lot about.

megan R26.R number 006
sorry to drag up an old thread... JamesS, very interesting. You seem to know your mustard.

I found the storage info very interesting. I never knew this about the R888, and yes i've left mine in a shed over winter - covered and it's dry but i've experienced this cracking.

I'm hoping a good few laps with help get the rubber back to being supple. it this possible or should that tyre softner be used?

cue i noticed your tyres was cracked last year at oulton park

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
yeh but they got better after running them for a while. Still the same set and have got 5 more days out of them..... Cadwell will be there last outing before the replacements go on.... if it doesn't rain.:hail:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Mine are fine, been on car since silverstone to wear all the debris off.