ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Photography

Skoda Fabia VRS
So, some of you may have seen that I'm eager to test out my new lens with some track action. I'm after some tips and pointers basically, as this is something I've not done before. While I'm very eager to just jump out and figure it out for myself, I may miss some important factors.

I'll be heading to Castle Combe first of all, so if anyone's captured action there, that would be fantastic. Shutter priority mode, fully manual or any other modes to stick to? I'll be stood mainly at the entrance to Quarry along the straight, so cars will be peaking 110-130mph depending on the car of course. I had read on some forum that you sort of adjust the shutter speed to that of the cars estimated speed. For example 100mph 1/100th. Does this seem right?

Anyway, I'll be swatting up for the rest of the evening, and nipping out to get a new SD card as I cannot be bothered to transfer over 1000 or so pictures without an SSD on my PC.

Thanks as always.

Cupra
Try different shutter speeds for panning and see what gives you the best results/ keeper rate. Some people can go right down to 1/25 for panning and keep the car, or part of it sharp enough to get a nice picture. Wthout using a mono-pod, I normally keep it around 1/100 otherwise I can bin half the shots.

If the section of the track that you are photographing is fairly uniform in light (no areas of shadow) and you don't have clouds changing ambient light, then you can stick it in manual and meter off the track/ grass. If light is changing then Shutter prio is a safe bet.

@ukaskew wrote a great guide here;
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/motorsport-photography-guide.290745/

Take a look at some of @dunganick work for inspiration. It's on a whole other level.
http://nickdungan.co.uk/

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
First thing is read the sticky that Andy posted.

Then decide on what type of shot you want.
Static then you eat a fast Shutter speed, 1/500th + probably.
Panning then anything from 1/40th (this will produce very few usable images at first BTW, you'll miss loads) up to 1/100th which will be easier but produce less movement effect.

Main thing is to keep practicing, you'll soon get used to what works. I don't shoot auto enough and have to have a good half hour before getting anything that I like.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Thanks for the advice both, I'll be sure to read the threads/work above in detail!

The day itself went very well, and I'm quite pleased with some of my shots.
Here's one I quite liked.

30663035062_18ffe75afb_z.jpg