ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ubuntu - a good Linux client?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've downloaded the v7.04 desktop client with the aim of trying it out on my other PC at home. I'm very new to Linux, so was wondering if Ubuntu was the best option?

Any feedback or suggestions, would be great!

Cheers,
D.

Its pretty good if your new to it. Got a copy of it here myself to take home but keep forgetting.

Punto/Clio GTT
kdf told me in PM that linux is piss poor and that secretly he uses windows vista ultimate on all his machines at work and at home.

Not a Clio
I don't think anyone could categorically say XYZ is the best distro, but Ubuntu is very good.

I've been running Ubuntu since 2005, currently using 7.10 Tribe 5 Testing and it's looking good. Some good improvements over 7.04.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
kdf told me in PM that linux is piss poor and that secretly he uses windows vista ultimate on all his machines at work and at home.

:p

tbf ubuntu is pretty damn good, especially as its free :)

it can't be compared to windows :<

RIP Dan
I use it on my pc, some things dont work....ie my printer and it doesnt display video in its video player.

If you are lazy like me then it isnt for you. I cannot be bothered to go on forums all day asking and searching to get this and that working.

I mainly use the pc its on as a file server.

Not a Clio
^ don't let that put you off, some things will "just work". Others may need a small amount of reading to get to work. But once you have it working that's it, not like you'll have to keep"fiddling".

RIP Dan
Not right im afraid VJ.

Video didnt work.

Then it did when i downloaded some updates.

Downloaded some more updates.....didnt work again.

I do like Ubuntu, but it is a hassle if you are a know nothing like me.

Not a Clio
Not right im afraid VJ.

Video didnt work.

Then it did when i downloaded some updates.

Downloaded some more updates.....didnt work again.

I do like Ubuntu, but it is a hassle if you are a know nothing like me.

I did say that some things need a little reading.

You should pop on the Ubuntu forum and post some details, you might find that it's a really easy simple fix.

Clio 172mk2
i`ve got ubuntu on my spare machine works well , sept i cant get the video resolution i want due to old grfx card, part from that its allright

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
PMSL @ replies aimed at me ! you guys !!

I would class Ubuntu as one of the best "new to linux" distro's out there. In most cases it will require no work at all after installation, is quick (not too bloated) and you can try it without even installing it via the live CD.

What have you got to loose. If you get stuck on somthing post it up here and i'll help you out where I can.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I use it on my pc, some things dont work....ie my printer and it doesnt display video in its video player.

If you are lazy like me then it isnt for you. I cannot be bothered to go on forums all day asking and searching to get this and that working.

Printers are easy, switch printer on.. go to add printer.. it detects printer, recommends the correct driver (without you downloading it) click ok, job done. :rasp:

Don't know what your video problem is without more details. I assume Totem ? I would recommend VLC or mplayer or Xine.

Printers are easy, switch printer on.. go to add printer.. it detects printer, recommends the correct driver (without you downloading it) click ok, job done. :rasp:

Poor. OSX, turn on printer, file - print, and it's there (providing it's a network printer and mDNS'd ;))
But, I have a Dell laptop now.. so it don't matter, haha. ;)

Anyway,
if I was recommending a distro to a new user, I'd always say Ubuntu.. it's based on Debian, so it wins by default.. and, it is actually quite good.

Polo + Micra
i installed ubuntu on (this) my mum's pc and it hasn't phased her that it's not windows.

she even knows how do the updates and her printer just worked and so did the logitech wireless keyboard and mouse:)

it is easy to use and it's normally not much work to get stuff to work if it don't out of the box

Punto/Clio GTT
why choose ubunu over vista? what will it improve?

i just feel "safe" with vista, that i know what stuff is, i know what stuff does, i know if something breaks its a pretty easy fix.

why go ubuntu?

Not a Clio
Stability, security (no viruses, spyware, malware etc), customisability, free software, lower system requirements, if you're into eye candy - better eye candy, etc.

I think that people normally turn to Linux because they're unhappy Windows users or just want to expand their knowledge.

If you're happy with what you've got then stick with it.

Last edited:
  Punto/Clio GTT
k im tryin to install ubuntu on a spare harddrive to try it.

atm in my pc is a sata dvdrw and a sata hd.

ive disconnected the sata hd and plugged in my spare hd which is an IDE.

in the boot menu this is what i get

DSCF0931.gif

ive burnt what i downloaded onto a dvd (the file is an .iso file).

it wont boot from the dvd.

it tells me to insert media from selected bootable device and press enter, rinse and repeat.

where am i going wrong?

should i mount the .iso ive downloaded from ubuntu.com and extract everything and burn everything like that or should my pc recognise the .iso on the dvd and try to autorun from it?

friend is saying that there should be an option in my bios to set SATA is primary which i cannot find.

help lol

Not a Clio
Don't think there is a DVD ISO, think it will only work from a CD? May be wrong though.

Make sure you burn as an IMAGE, not data - don't extract anything.

If you've done it right, Ubuntu will autorun from the CD.

Punto/Clio GTT
for some reason it wont letme start to burn with a cd, but it will burn with a dvd

do i just click create a new cd?

heres my options

32323232.gif

Punto/Clio GTT
clicked that and it brought me to a new screen which asks for source and destination

source im guessing is my .iso file, ive picked that but now i cant select a destination?

in the log it says " No compatible destination devices found "

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Download 7.10, i only use nero, in nero you just burn the image to a CD.. dont just burn the .iso file to the CD !

And yes it is possible to burn the .iso file as a dvd image, I did it a couple days ago and it boots just fine.

Not a Clio
I can see that it's going to be a long night. Luckily KDF just told me to leave it with him and he'll stay up allllllll night helping you.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I can see that it's going to be a long night. Luckily KDF just told me to leave it with him and he'll stay up allllllll night helping you.

I can't, just had a job interview for Linux System Administrator at a major ISP. Tommorow ive got another job interview for simmilar position lol ! Supposed to be studying the companies history etc but thought i would check CS first :nono:

Not a Clio
I leave history till a few hours before the interview lol

Forgot once but luckily I was treated to a looped company history on video in reception.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Sounds like a plan.. will do it tommorow at work before I have to leave ;) !

PS. Do you think FM has knack'd his system yet lol !