ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ubuntu - a good Linux client?

ide say windows is ALOT more user friendly, its more of a plug and play, pre-packed ready to go OS.

It's not really pre-packed. You have to install your video drivers, sound drivers, network driver, scanner drivers, printer drivers etc from CD or a separate download. It doesn't come with a decent graphics package and no office suit, it's bundled email client is stripped down etc etc.

The only driver I have to install for ubuntu is the nvidia one, and the restricted drivers manager does that for me, so I don't even have to go and look for it. The gimp is installed by default as is evolution and Open Office amongst other things.

And if there's something I'm missing, 99% of the time it's in a repo so I don't even have to go far to find it.
You don't have to install all of those drivers separately on Windows. Maybe if you have the latest hardware for every component you'll need to because Windows won't have inbox drivers, but then surely Ubuntu suffers the same problem?

Last edited:
  Not a Clio
It's not really pre-packed. You have to install your video drivers, sound drivers, network driver, scanner drivers, printer drivers etc from CD or a separate download. It doesn't come with a decent graphics package and no office suit, it's bundled email client is stripped down etc etc.

The only driver I have to install for ubuntu is the nvidia one, and the restricted drivers manager does that for me, so I don't even have to go and look for it. The gimp is installed by default as is evolution and Open Office amongst other things.

And if there's something I'm missing, 99% of the time it's in a repo so I don't even have to go far to find it.
You don't have to install all of those drivers separately on Windows. Maybe if you have the latest hardware for every component you'll need to because Windows won't have inbox drivers, but then surely Ubuntu suffers the same problem?

Can't speak for Vista but XP never had drivers for my video card, sound card, network card or scanner.

Not a Clio
ok so forget that, Vista is still not pre-packed unless it now comes with an office suite and decent graphics editor etc.

Punto/Clio GTT
on vista the only thing i had to install driver wise was my graphics card driver.

every other driver was a plug in, it would find the driver itself and install it.

Not a Clio
So what on earth does "pre-packed" refer to then lol

From what I know, under ubuntu all you've installed is the nvidia driver as well.

Punto/Clio GTT
thats what im getting at :p

ubuntu is no better upto yet than vista, infact its worse.

ubuntu driver took, what, 2 hours? + 1 clean install as i didnt know what i was doing.

vista was just download driver, install it, done.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
thats what im getting at :p

ubuntu is no better upto yet than vista, infact its worse.

ubuntu driver took, what, 2 hours? + 1 clean install as i didnt know what i was doing.

vista was just download driver, install it, done.

Because you knew what you were doing.. I can install nvidia drivers quicker than you can in windows.. because I know what i'm doing.

You can't really hold that one against linux lol