ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WHEEL CAME OFF THE CAR WHILST DRIVING!

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
OK i've had a few problems with my rear left wheel bearing, only after a few months of getting it fixed it started to drone again. Today that droning got worse and clicks and pops could be heard.

So obviously i decided to drive home. On the way home, the car started to violently sway left to right. so i pulled over to take a look and the wheel was smoking. I drove just a little further to get off the main road. Jumped out the car then "bang" the whole car's weight is resting on the top of the wheel. So i decided to jack it up and the wheel just fell off.

I called the RAC to tow me home, his exact words "I'm suprised your still alive"

Ok so my question to you all is, i need to know exactly what parts I need and approx how much I should be paying to get this fixed.

Heres the pics of detail.

Many Thanks for all your help

photo-37.jpg

photo-36.jpg

photo-35.jpg

photo-34.jpg

photo-33.jpg

photo-32.jpg

photo-31.jpg

photo-30.jpg

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
I have considered talking to the ppl who did it last, but i'll leave that till when the cars on the road. I have all the picture evidence I need and the RAC and A1 Recovery have wrote full reports that they believe its dude to the wheel bearing. So for now I just need to know how much you all think i should be paying for this.

Thanks everyone!!

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Price of a new disk, bearing and fitting? Or is it not that simple...

not from what the RAC fella said, he was sayin something about ABS problems and all sorts.

Maybe it is quite simple just wanna make sure.

Thanks anyway dude

Lots of Alfas
I would have stopped driving it and checked things when you heard "clicks and pops"!!!!

As above it looks like the hub nut hasnt been tightened up as its right on the end of the shaft. The nylon bit isnt even touching the thread. Im suprised how the bearing and disc fell apart like that, it must have been caused when the wheel was wobbling about along the hub??

Audi TT 225 Quattro
how old were the disc as apart from them being split in two they look like they have alot of wear for a rear disc, does the other look the same?

Lots of Alfas
Yeah the abs sensor looks damaged, other than that I would have thought a new pair of discs (with new bearings) and your sorted.

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
I would have stopped driving it and checked things when you heard "clicks and pops"!!!!

As above it looks like the hub nut hasnt been tightened up as its right on the end of the shaft. The nylon bit isnt even touching the thread. Im suprised how the bearing and disc fell apart like that, it must have been caused when the wheel was wobbling about along the hub??

yeah your probs right about clicks and pops, but just wanted to get home :)

Yeah the wheel was really wobbling at one point but only for about 100 metres. That probs did the most damage

Thanks Again

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
how old were the disc as apart from them being split in two they look like they have alot of wear for a rear disc, does the other look the same?

Yeah discs have had it. Will replace all when i get it repaired on monday :)

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Yeah the abs sensor looks damaged, other than that I would have thought a new pair of discs (with new bearings) and your sorted.

thanks for the input mate, this is the kinda thing im looking for

Many Thanks

AK

M240i
I meant i would take it back to who fixed it last to get them to pay for it as they obviously didn't fix it mate!

Lots of Alfas
yeah your probs right about clicks and pops, but just wanted to get home :)

Yeah the wheel was really wobbling at one point but only for about 100 metres. That probs did the most damage

Thanks Again

I think thats whats ruined the disc and bearing. The discs dont look that worn. Renault always recommend replacing the hub nut each time its loosened. They should be tightened to 175nm

Black Gold 182 W/CupPacks
I'm no mechanic but maybe whoever did the job for you overtightened the nut thus drastically shortening the lifespan of the bearing, so it overheated and seized.
I wouldn't take it back there again when you sort it out

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Hang on a sec, im not understanding the overtightening of the hub nut, yet its hanging off? How does it happen?

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Hang on a sec, im not understanding the overtightening of the hub nut, yet its hanging off? How does it happen?

again as above it came off with the wheel, but the rac just quickly screwed it on so everything was together.

thanks every1

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Obvioulsy I understand How overtightening the nut damages the bearing, what I dont understand is how the nut came off with the bearing unless it was loose?