ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Budget Android Phone?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
New or secondhand, to buy outright and last as long as possible.

The Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 looks very good for the money (circa £120)

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
do you need a particular spec? if you want cheap, get a EE rook for £50. If not perhaps you could look at a samsung J5 for around £119?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
It will be used as a GPS / work phone (so gmail / outlook / office 365) mostly. Not gaming at all.

The LG Nexus 5X seems to match / beat the Smart Ultra 6. I just want something that is likely to receive updates for as long as possible (without rooting).

Currently have a Galaxy S2, which considering its age has lasted very well, its limited internal storage space is the only problem.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The 5x is the newer model so not sure if you'll get one for that price but the 5 will do everything you require and is currently running the latest version of Android, Marshmallow and should get "N" once it's rolled out to the newer Nexus devices.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
The 5x is the newer model so not sure if you'll get one for that price but the 5 will do everything you require and is currently running the latest version of Android, Marshmallow and should get "N" once it's rolled out to the newer Nexus devices.

A just clocked the x bit. Thanks. Still seems to stack up pretty well against the Vodafone.

personally I would consider the Galaxy A3 and J5

They all seem pretty close on GSMarea comparison, were you suggesting the 2016 models?

I'm edging to the bigger screen of teh nexus becuse of the SatNav use, I know all of what you have both suggested will be a world away from my S2, will I notice the difference between a 4.7 (Galaxies) and 5.5inch (Voda) screen?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Thanks for the all the info and offers.

Ended up getting a secondhand Red Nexus 5 for £110. Very impressed. Getting used to Marshmallow over Jellybean, but so much better.
Battery life is still a disappointment, having to charge daily but I guess that is modern 'mobile' phones for you.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for the all the info and offers.

Ended up getting a secondhand Red Nexus 5 for £110. Very impressed. Getting used to Marshmallow over Jellybean, but so much better.
Battery life is still a disappointment, having to charge daily but I guess that is modern 'mobile' phones for you.
Great choice of starting phone.
Get it rooted and titanium backup.
Then select any ROM you want, changes the whole android experience.