ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who needs an m5 anyway...

2005 Clio 182 ff
So I sold my m5 and bought a Clio 182 [emoji1360] long story! But I love my little Clio, it's an 05 black gold full fat. It has 70k on it and runs spot on. It is time for an upgrade though, I'd like to do a turbo conversion but throwing 5k in one hit at a car I paid 2k for seems a little strong [emoji23] so I'd like to do it bit by bit over time, anyone suggest a good starting point?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
So I sold my m5 and bought a Clio 182 [emoji1360] long story! But I love my little Clio, it's an 05 black gold full fat. It has 70k on it and runs spot on. It is time for an upgrade though, I'd like to do a turbo conversion but throwing 5k in one hit at a car I paid 2k for seems a little strong [emoji23] so I'd like to do it bit by bit over time, anyone suggest a good starting point?

Sell the Clio and buy a faster car.

I never wanted to be ‘that’ guy but after 14yrs of throwing money at 172 and 182s I have finally realised that they are pretty good out of the box.

PH2 172

Buy a mirror and check there are no hairs on your arse.

2005 Clio 182 ff

I never wanted to be ‘that’ guy but after 14yrs of throwing money at 172 and 182s I have finally realised that they are pretty good out of the box.
Haha i see your logic but I've had fast cars but I love driving the Clio, and in comparison it's cheap as chips to fix and run, I don't use it as a daily so it doesnt need to be rock solid reliable. I'm just looking for a bit more power [emoji16]

172 Turbo
He's right, sell it and buy one that's already done.

Mine was for sale for £5,000. Turbo'd. diffed, suspension, belts done, etc. and no takers. You'd be mad to do it all yourself.

If not, change the suspension, tyres and brakes and go from there.

Surely an M5 / 182 would've been pretty close to the ultimate attainable 2 car garage. One has got long journeys, holidays, autobahns, looking-presentable etc absolutely nailed and the other has got cheap, capable, reliable, out-the-box fun covered.

182 Turbo
5k is like a high boost conversion, near on 300bhp is not needed in these cars i paid bang on half that, 2.5k to boost mine

edit: and if you really wanted to you could run 280 without having to forge the block anyway so it still wouldnt cost 5k, 5k is if you want to go the fully forged route

Last edited:
  2005 Clio 182 ff
Surely an M5 / 182 is getting pretty close to the ultimate attainable 2 car garage. One has got long journeys, holidays, autobahns, looking-presentable etc absolutely nailed and the other has got cheap, capable, reliable, out-the-box fun covered.
I lost the love for the m5 when the bills started adding up, the thing seemed to be on a knife edge. My friend was driving his, all serviced, well looked after and it just threw a con rod out the side of the block for no apparent reason. I sold mine shortly after

2005 Clio 182 ff
5k is like a high boost conversion, near on 300bhp is not needed in these cars i paid bang on half that, 2.5k to boost mine

edit: and if you really wanted to you could run 280 without having to forge the block anyway so it still wouldnt cost 5k, 5k is if you want to go the fully forged route
Do you have any details of the work you did? Link t9 a thread? I'd be interested to have a read [emoji16]

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
What do you intend on using the car for? If it's just a weekend you, you could try a bit of weight reduction. Probably more cost effective.

Engine Dynamics offer a turbo conversion but it's all or nothing really, not something you can do in stages so much.

But don't you just throw money at other cars now instead though? :tonguewink:

2005 Clio 182 ff
What do you intend on using the car for? If it's just a weekend you, you could try a bit of weight reduction. Probably more cost effective.

Engine Dynamics offer a turbo conversion but it's all or nothing really, not something you can do in stages so much.

Just road use, not daily though. I'll look up engine dynamics [emoji1360]

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

I’m still learning with those.

182 Turbo
Do you have any details of the work you did? Link t9 a thread? I'd be interested to have a read [emoji16]

I dont have a thread for my current car, its an ED low boost kit, there is an intensive build thread on my previous 260 bhp ph1 turbo ill have to try and find if youre interested, it was an unorthodox conversion however it had a stock bottom end which was an old tired 120k mile bottom end and was obviously a lot older being a phase 1, and im pretty sure the original owner had no mechanical sympathy either as the car was bought with a snapped cambelt, and it took that 330 bhp before the conrod bent.

There has been others, like T.Trophy who ran 300 bhp on a stock bottom end for a fair while before he forged it and went 500 bhp, so what im saying is, you could take the ED low boost conversion and add the additional price of a megane headgasket and just run enough boost to make 250-300bhp, the meganes F4RT's handle it fine, and there is minimal differences between engines, the pistons are different but im sure they are no stronger..

I'm personally against the higher figures, as having experienced a mid boost clio anything north of 280 bhp is just horsepower lost in tire smoke, and im pretty sure my old 260 ph1 would keep with your m5 anyway :tongueout:

2005 Clio 182 ff
I dont have a thread for my current car, its an ED low boost kit, there is an intensive build thread on my previous 260 bhp ph1 turbo ill have to try and find if youre interested, it was an unorthodox conversion however it had a stock bottom end which was an old tired 120k mile bottom end and was obviously a lot older being a phase 1, and im pretty sure the original owner had no mechanical sympathy either as the car was bought with a snapped cambelt, and it took that 330 bhp before the conrod bent.

There has been others, like T.Trophy who ran 300 bhp on a stock bottom end for a fair while before he forged it and went 500 bhp, so what im saying is, you could take the ED low boost conversion and add the additional price of a megane headgasket and just run enough boost to make 250-300bhp, the meganes F4RT's handle it fine, and there is minimal differences between engines, the pistons are different but im sure they are no stronger..

I'm personally against the higher figures, as having experienced a mid boost clio anything north of 280 bhp is just horsepower lost in tire smoke, and im pretty sure my old 260 ph1 would keep with your m5 anyway :tongueout:
Exactly my point! If I can get my little Clio anywhere near as fast my the M5 then y Not?! 250 / 260 would be a good figure. Yeah post a link to the build if you can [emoji1360]

172 Turbo
If your car has had belts done, go for the low boost conversion and spend money elsewhere until the belts are due.