ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Zero's k4j clio project

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Hope it's the right section... :eek: it's about my aircon removal but.. this may also lead to the clio project :cool:

here's some pics of what i'm doing...

aircon-k4j-1.jpg

Removed alternator from bracket and some AC pipes...

aircon-k4j-2.jpg

Removed also the AC condenser....and accumulator..

aircon-k4j-3.jpg

and at last (?) removed AC compressor... bracket... upper pulley etc.. but.. wait!! i need to remove evaporator etc....

so...

some time later...
aircon-k4j-4.jpg

what a mess!!! :D then was lunch time...so.. here we are!
Today.. i'll machine new alternator brackets.. if you're interested..stay tuned!
aircon-k4j-1.jpg
aircon-k4j-1.jpg
aircon-k4j-1.jpg

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Re: My aircon removal (clioproject beginning)

@ rhysbartley wich car? 1.4/1.6 or another one?

@italian_job I'll tell you later! in the afternoon i'll find out precisely how many kg's.. :)

and just to clarify.. for me the point is to make the car loss weight everywere i can..
for example has already lost the airbags, lighter steering wheel, rear seats, spare tire, rear wiper and motor and some other "useless" parts...ehhehe so it's not the 20 or 30 kgs of this.. is 20 + 20 + 10 etc... :D

Clio k4j - Clio 200T

Hi guys!!
some pictures taken when i was machining the brackets!!

aircon-k4j-5.jpg

aircon-k4j-6.jpg

aircon-k4j-7.jpg

now is time for some test fitting.. mm looks ok..and tilts flawless.... OK!!

aircon-k4j-8.jpg

aircon-k4j-9.jpg

some other work to make em lighter..

aircon-k4j-10.jpg

and test fitting (with some temporary screws and spacers) of all the brackets and the uniball tie rod (sorry no pics of machining upper bracket and uniball rod)

aircon-k4j-11.jpg

feels ok.. it's very solid and easy to tighten up the belt.. also gives spaces around intake manifold just in case.. you'll never know what can happen near intake manifolds hehehe :)

@ rhysbartley :) having all the renault parts it's not so complicated... takes just some patience.. and some time.. :)
@ italian_job.. tomorrow i'll do a precise measurement, because of some problem i was in a hurry so i've made a not so clean measurement; seems to be around 15kg all the parts..not so much but another 15 kilos and a big space for future works!!

some great workmanship , will you be making these brackets and selling them !!

Clio k4j - Clio 200T

Thank you !! :) in these things satisfaction is the major part.. and if someone else likes my work.. i'm glad of it!!
selling them ? today i was just thinking if someone else would like a kit like this.. eheheh
At the moment i don't know.. i also have to make some tests then maybe i can think of sell a kit if someone's interested..

:) I started this thread about my aircon removal... but as a project thread, so i think is right to introduce the project, or the car! eheheh the project started some time ago before knowing this forum so i have not so much pics.. but here are some:

my coilies.. fitted some time ago (i used to have group-n coilies that now sleep in a box waiting for a rebuild)
coilies.jpg

softer than my old group-n .. but nice to drive with!

the car is a 1.4 16v and got some works on her:
catback full freeflow exhaust
bmc airfilter with fiberglass modified airbox
coilies spax RSX
OZ superturismo racing wheels (white ones) 15x7j
clio cup rear toe shims
ctf RS disc brakes
ferodo ds 2500 brakepads

and inside
opm 330 steering wheel with snapoff mechanism
aluminium shift knob (made by me on lathe)
sparco pedals

and then some weightloss program...eeheh
removed spare tire (replaced with slime bottle)
removed some insonorization panels
removed airbags (got bad experience with those things)
removed rear wiper and motor
removed rearseats (isofix ecc)
removed aircon (hheheh that's new feature)
and removed some other "useless parts" ..ahaha

my.. "trunk" eheheh with fuel pump cover.. and the old .. don't know how it's called in english!
the thing you see on the right with speakers, anyway i don't have it anymore..
trunk.jpg

and that's the nose of the car with my beloved wheels! i love them!
clio.jpg

I think the car situation for the project is now more clear !
so the project can continue!

Clio k4j - Clio 200T

Hi! I'll make some serious pics soon
:-o today i cant.. it's not raining.. it's more like is falling an ocean from the sky!!! ahhaha
Anyway.. i'm near milan mate! :)

Yozz'd up 182

I think that is the best false floor i have seen.

mk2 ph2 172 Flamer

got some skills mate! the car looks good, more pics needed.

Golf GTD Mk7

nice workmanship mate. car's looking good to. Get those rear belts removed, no point having them if there is no one to stap in back there ;)

Clio k4j - Clio 200T

Thank you all guys!! I'm glad you liked my work! :)

@Jonny1*2
I know mate... for now i have to keep them to remain road legal! (here laws are a bit crazy)

@mr.pink87
Yep mate! I've made the rod by myself on my lathe!

waiting for the big things... some little updates. (maybe i have to change the title!!)

My aluminum gearknob.. made some times ago on my lathe; sized for my hand

gearknob.jpg

then some carbon sheet working for the holes left by sunvisors (stripping continues!)

carbon_sv1.jpg

carbon_sv2.jpg

carbon_sv3.jpg

and fitted! woah.. nice and clean!

carbon_sv4.jpg

I also received this!

omp_tow.jpg

and a front pic of the car after washing :D

cliotta2.jpg

hope to post soon pics about more serious works.. i'm planning some engine works but it takes time to plan well..

p.s. more pics of the car will come soon! stay tuned

Last edited:
  M3, Cup racer'd 182

Hi mate

I think you might be on to something with these custom mounts for removing the air con.

I'm defo interested in a kit if your going to make them can you pm me with prices and when your able to make them. I also want to lose my air con but getting hold off the bits is pretty hard.

Thanks Damien

RS2'd Trophy

Great workmanship!!! More pics of the air con removal brackets and false floor please :)

Clio k4j - Clio 200T

thank you!
:) seems that those aircon removal brackets caught everyone's attention!!
I've received some requests about them... for now i'm not selling them for 2 reasons. I machined them and i'm testing them to see if they're good or not (for now are very good) so.. before thinking to sell anything i have to be sure they're bulletproof. second thing is that i machined them without CNC.. so i eventually need to talk with a friend (who's got a cnc) and see if we can do it. CNC would be fast so.. if sold.. would be cheap.
Due to requests... keep reading the thread... i eventually write here if i'll sell those brackets.

Searching on my HDD... i've found this pic (made when i was working on the falsefloor) ..

falsefloor.jpg

That is the base of falsefloor cut, drilled and rounded to suit the interior shape as precise and nice as possibile. then i sprayed glue on it... and applied some car moquette on the upper side , tuned edges underside and secured with staples.
bolted in place using the holes where isofix used to be screwed to.. with nu longer screws and with those hooks that used to sit under the front seats. Only bored the holes from 8mm to 10mm
:) I fitted them 'cause use those hooks when i transport my pocketbike to racetrack..

If you want to know some more details.... feel free to ask.

anyway.. :) tomorrow or in the next days i'll make some others pics about falsefloor and alternator brackets

Last edited:
  M3, Cup racer'd 182

When do you think you'll know if these brackets are safe and able to get made by your friend's CNC?.
Reason i ask is my car's front end is stripped so would be a good time to do it, rather than fit it all back and then re-strip it all again.

Thanks

RS2'd Trophy

thank you!
:) seems that those aircon removal brackets caught everyone's attention!!
I've received some requests about them... for now i'm not selling them for 2 reasons. I machined them and i'm testing them to see if they're good or not (for now are very good) so.. before thinking to sell anything i have to be sure they're bulletproof. second thing is that i machined them without CNC.. so i eventually need to talk with a friend (who's got a cnc) and see if we can do it. CNC would be fast so.. if sold.. would be cheap.
Due to requests... keep reading the thread... i eventually write here if i'll sell those brackets.

Searching on my HDD... i've found this pic (made when i was working on the falsefloor) ..

falsefloor.jpg

That is the base of falsefloor cut, drilled and rounded to suit the interior shape as precise and nice as possibile. then i sprayed glue on it... and applied some car moquette on the upper side , tuned edges underside and secured with staples.
bolted in place using the holes where isofix used to be screwed to.. with nu longer screws and with those hooks that used to sit under the front seats. Only bored the holes from 8mm to 10mm
:) I fitted them 'cause use those hooks when i transport my pocketbike to racetrack..

If you want to know some more details.... feel free to ask.

anyway.. :) tomorrow or in the next days i'll make some others pics about falsefloor and alternator brackets

Thanks mate ill embark on doing mine in a month or so :D

James

Clio k4j - Clio 200T

@M4D M4X
just seen that maybe you got a 182.. is that the car we're talkin about? 'cause i've made those brackets for a k4j or k4m engine wich only got to drive an alternator pulley (because it has electric steering .. so no hydraulic pump to drive) and the alternator is slightly different from the alternators fitted on f4r engines.

@james
good mate!! if you need something more.. some measures or something like that....that can help you feel free to ask!

been a bit busy this days.. hope to make some pics soon!!

clio 1.2 16V

Hi my friend, do u realise your project to instal the aircondition on clio ?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3

Kudos to you mate, some impressive fabrication there :)

clio 1.2 16V

i want to do the opposite of this and have aircon fitted to a non aircon model.

Hi my friend, do u realist your project to install the air condition on Clio ? and if u do, pls send some pictures if u have

Clio k4j - Clio 200T

Hi there!! been away from the forum for so long.. I'm sorry..but I got also some health problems so... anyway I'm back!
And I'm back with some news!!
Well.. where to start? oh yes... after some testing I decided to change the belt tensioning system, there was too stress for some bolts and that was no good! so i bolted the alternator with oem bracket (for now) and realized another kind of tensioning system, that seems to work good!

Then some time ago I finally managed to find some shorter springs (with right load index) to make a better suspension setup! The car now feels waaaay better even if due to the lightness seems to need some more rear lowering.. :) in heavy driving has a little tendency to drift eheheh

I found a beautiful dinamyque spoiler which I've always loved.. the price was tasty so.. here it is!

spoiler.jpg

In a cosmetic moment I've also decided to change my front grille with a more aggressive one.. so went to renault and got a beautiful RS grille! :D now 2 pics for how the car looks now!

cliofront34.jpg

cliorear34.jpg

I like her soo much!! i LOVE her so much!!!

..what? :D what's that thing sticking out the rear bumper?? oh..that's my newly fitted backbox!
Arrived just thursday.. so saturday afternoon I jacked up the car and fitted! :)
It's a INOXCAR backbox with endtip made by spec..very well built.
For now it's only a bit too quiet but it's new.. needs only some burn in (my Gr.N pipe from cat to it surely will help) !!

inoxcarspecbbox.jpg

And in the end.. one last pic.. taken this evening after work.. :) some new things arrived.. just a pic.. hihihi what will I do with them?? who wants to guess??

nubits.jpg

:D byeeez

Clio k4j - Clio 200T

Hi there! bit of news..
we all know clio engine supports aren't so strong.. last year I've changed 2 out of 3 and keeped the gearbox support which was broken.
I've seen many people improve their supports adding rubber etc.. I've decided to mod mine to find out if it's better!
So...that's the support.

enginesupport1.jpg

Cut it off some rubber..

enginesupport2.jpg

Dremel off all rubber from outer ring..

enginesupport3.jpg

This is the old central part..and a round of aluminium that I'll transform in the core with my lathe!

enginesupport4.jpg

tadaaaa!!! :D core done..

enginesupport5.jpg

and after some more work.. that's the finished product!

enginesupport6.jpg

I've put also a thin layer of rubber over the core.. so it will be protected from corrosion..
Now I've to wait for the rubber to cure.. and try this bad boy! :D
Note: I've decided for this way of doing because of not tightening too much everyhing using teflon or urethane cores.. no painful vibrations but also no more long travel movements of the engine block!

I've also jacked up the car to check a thing about the support so.. take the opportunity to clean a bit the underside of the gearbox.. leaking oil from linkage axle like almost any clio..
well.. :) i'm satisfied with the result!

cleanedgearbox.jpg

and in the end.. took this pic, i was relaxing a bit and thought was funny to see the clio tilted like this!

tiltedclio.jpg

hope you enjoyed!

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Thank you mate!!
I'll give you a little teaser on a thing I'm working...

172manifold.jpg

:D oh oh oh... what's this??

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Thank you siidd!
got a bit of bad news... this evening i've removed airbox, TB, plenum and exhaust manifold to check if the drawing made by the new gasket was ok.. :( pain.. the new gasket got bigger ports so i got to make a new drawing but i've had to refit everything cause i need the car for work.. :( bad bad...
I also seen that to make a good job the cat flange needs to be far from where it is now about 6 .. 8 cm. so maybe i'll change the cat too so i can build a new downpipe from scratch.. :( hoped to start welding it this saturday.. sigh

Iceberg 172
Really nice build. Loving the self-fabrication, you don't see that very much these days.

Would be interested to hear how much weight have you saved by now, all in all ca 100kg!?

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Hi mate, i love self-fabrication too.. it gaves me more that bring the car to a shop and "pay" for more horses or for more everything.

unfortunately i've not always check the weight of the removed parts (someday i'll check, i still got every single part on a huge shelf) but trying to calclulate I'd say something between 80 and 90 kg! Best part is that at this point the car inside is partially stripped, so saved some weight but car still looks good tha a full strip would..
:) fun thing is people laughing for have saved 1kg removing a bit.. but when lighting you always have to keep in mind that to remove 100 kg you can do this also removing 10kg here and 5 there, 2 here and 3 there..and so on.
I still have to change the manifold with the 172 modified one i'm working on..and also this is lighter than the OEM one which is casted. :( need 2 sport seats.. the oem ones are comfy but heavy as they are made out of lead.

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Little update bout the modified dogbone! Fitted this morning and went for a bit of test.
:) namecode "good vibrations" eheheh ! anyway beside a bit of shaking when the car start to move (only if slowly at low rpm) the rest is stunning! no more gear shift lever shaking like mad when i floor it or hard brake it... I really really like the result! :) well done myself! ehehhe

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Update!
Yesterday I've received a package cointaing....this!

cat182_1.jpg

It's in very good conditions, the owner did only few thousand kms then went to a decat so it's pretty new without any rust!

Inside seems good too!

cat182_2.jpg

Today I've taken apart the manifolds to check exhaust ports to finish the drawing for lasercut new flange for my 172 manifolds. I've take the opportunity to tap and screw the breather ole (the one which plenum sucks from) and give the cover a nice clean from dirt

Outside..

cover_cleaned_1.jpg

And inside..

cover_cleaned_2.jpg

came out nice isn't it?

and for fun i've also painted it! I like how turned out!

cover_painted.jpg

now he's hanging on my bike rack waiting to dry overnight.. tomorrow in the morning i'll bolt in back with other engine parts laying around my garage :D

Now I only need the guys to cut me the new flange.. buy 6000073668 and get a 65mm pipe for give the cat a bit of "neck" and.. some time of fun welding everything together :p hope to do this next week end.. so stay tuned!!

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Thank you! I hope to post more Interesting progress but some things needs some time!

today I don't have worked so much on the car ... only re fitted the cover plate plenum etc.. and i've cutted the72 manifold preparing it for next week end welding :)

cutted_manifold.jpg