ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Zero's k4j clio project

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Thank you! hope you'll like the finished exhaust manifold too!
not big progress 'cause I'm waiting for the flange being laser cutted and.. :) for week end time!

anyway a bit of teaser .. today I got theese!

exhaust_bits.jpg

:) fresh renault parts...yumm!!

P.S.
A little chat the other day with the guy at renault shop:
Him: "tell me the truth..are you building up a 172 bit after bit??"
Me: "hehehe"
Him: "I bet one day you'll came here, I'll pop the hood and I'll found a full 172 engine!"
Me: "hehehe"
Him: "Hehehe"

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Hi there!
little update of the day!
My exhaust manifold flange is finished! isn't beautiful??

manifold_flange1.jpg

manifold_flange2.jpg

:D so I'm ready for a week end of welding and cutting to fit the 172 mani and the 182 cat!

Due to the good weather I go to work by motorbike so I've taken apart the rear bumper to fix an old exhaust cut.
In the beginning was a nice oval cut then the hot exhaust melted a bit on the side..

bumper_rep1.jpg

anyway.. cleaned, dremeled the edges and a bit of sanding.. (sorry I haven't made a pic of the missing part! ..yes when i cutted it i keeped the part! :D)

bumper_rep2.jpg

and a couple of fiberglass layers to join the parts and a bit more to reconstruct where plastic was missing (due to melting)

bumper_rep3.jpg

:) now it's curing.. tomorrow I'll post pics of the result!

P.s. the black inside it's not dirt it's a spray deposit when they painted it black outside XD it's squeaky clean

Last edited:
  Rs200
i like this straight into mechine work and 'bigger' jobs no carbon raps right in at the deep end, be sure to post a vid of the finished exhuast!

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Thank you mate! Think you got the point!
For the exhaust vid..yes for sure! maybe tomorrow after work I'll dismantle some parts to get her ready for saturday morning! Hope it will come out nice! :)

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Hi there! update of the day..

Today I've worked hard..not so much pics but I hope to put here some tasty ones!

Update on the bumper repair, that's the fiberglass cured!

bumper_rep4.jpg

and after a bit of sanding..that's nice!

bumper_rep5.jpg

then i've used a bit of body filler to get a smooth surface ready for paint!

And for the Mechanical side.. (the 90% of todays work)
This is the stainless steel pipe I'll use for building my cat (182 one) neck to join the manifolds (172)

cat_neck_pipe.jpg

So I started flaring it a bit with a steel cone made with lathe (and getting the pipe red hot with a torch) to make a perfet fit and good flow

flared_pipe.jpg

then i cutted the flange off the cat. So tomorrow I only have to cut the pipe to make the neck, flare another end and join them with a nice tig weld

cutted_cat.jpg

....but those were quick works... :p the "heavy" work was the one bringing me this!!

manifold_sneak.jpg

:) hope you liked this sneaky pic of the 172 manifold fitted to my k4j.. it was a test fit.. so i got to finish the weldings but fits nice!!
Tomorrow I hope to finish everything up and post some more pics (of the manifold also).

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Thank you Mexicano! :) i like your work too!

these days i'm very busy.. and got too many things to do :( taken only few pics.. anyway.. the bumper is nearly finished (hehe i worked on it only 15 min at day, and only when i got some spare time)
this evening i've sanded the primer (forgot to take a pic) and give it 2 light hands of paint... i think it's starting to look good! :) seems like new isn't it?

bumper_rep6.jpg

and a pic of the finished cat! 182 cat + a brand new neck made of stainless steel and tigwelded by myself! i've cutted many parts so the bend is not harsh but smooth.

cat_w_neck.jpg

:) hope you like

Clio Mk1
Nice work! Which aux belt did you use with your AC delete? Can you post a picture of your "new" setup now?

Cheers

David

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
Hey,

the cat looks very good! Do you have also a pic of the finished, but unmounted manifold?

best regards
Oliver

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Thank you guys!

:) tbh on the cat I made welds a bit bigger to make stronger joints. Nice thing about TIG is that if you want you could do a full flat weld which is gorgeous to look at! and is a must on 2t exhausts where you got to keep em ligth and allow the metal to vibrate correctly.

:) for now I don't know how I'll surprise in the future, but hope to do so!

Yes Oliver! I havent made any pic till now because it's temporarily fitted for finishing some things.. I think to remove it this evening to fit permanently and I'll take a pic for sure!

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
:) there will be something mate... there will be!

I also accept advices on what i've done or what would be nice to do!

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
as requested.. here is a pic of the exhaust manifold and the cat i've made.

exhaust.jpg

172/1.2/E30
Why didn't you weld the pre cat lambda boss to the "downpipe"? Oxygen sensor will now only read the emissions from one cylindre, signal might fluctuate a bit too much!?

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
I placed it in about the same position as the standard manifold, in the downpipe there is not so much room for the lambda (182 cat is huge compared to my stock one) so i decided to try this way! :) maybe being not fitted yet I can weld another boss in the downpipe and plug it shut, if lambda gives errors I can change place..
anyway thank you for the interesting post you made. :) I appreciate

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
Looks nice. Regarding position of the lambda sensor I think give it a try. I think there is enough turbolence to get also the "information" of the other cylinders.

Clio Mk1
Do you notice any significant change since you fitted 172 manifold? I'm in the process of making one to fit my K4M too, can you give me some details? Any problems with port spacing? How much from the flange did you cut?

Thank you very much in advance.

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
hiiiiii there!
Had to stop developing the car for some reasons for some time.
But some months ago the works on the car restarted!

The manifold with the cat is now fitted, you can actually feel the difference.. seems more torquy.. nice improvement.. and nice raspy sound too!
then more lightness added removing about 15kg of sound deadening things! :) more news and pics to come!

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
looking forward to more updates!

Lelouch, is your name in honour of Claude Le Louch?

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Hi there,
some pics of what I was talking about earlier today..

After finishing mods and welds to the exhaust.. I got this heat wrap!

heatwrap_1.jpg

then wrapped the manifold with stainless ties to hold tight the wraps..

heatwrap_2.jpg

and then finally fitted to the engine!!!

heatwrap_3.jpg

Then fitted a bmc airbox I had laying around... with a fiberglass/carbon air intake made by myself for the clio.

carb_intake.jpg

Then some random pics about my sound deadening removal! (sorry for pics quality..but got this shots taken with my phone during the removal job)

tar_removal_1.jpg

tar_removal_2.jpg

tar_removal_3.jpg

tar_removal_4.jpg

tar_removal_5.jpg

As stated before.. all the tar inside, plus the rubber under the carpet, and some other useless parts.. about 15kg.
:smiley: sorry for the muddy carpet but rained for about a decade heheh, cleaned after the job was done.
About 3 more tar strips to remove (in the wipers motor bay).

One last pic.. is about what has to come...

caliper.jpg

Thinks is all for now... Bye

Lelouch, is your name in honour of Claude Le Louch?
Nope sorry :)

looking forward to more updates!
You've been served! :D

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Ok, it's quite a bit of time since the last update.. but worked hard on some things and to this project too! So guess it's time for a godzilla update.

Part 1.

Finished the tar removal job..

tar_removal_6.jpg

tar_removal_7.jpg

Removed the HUGE stock battery for a racing one from Spark.. so I've made a bracket, new connections and fitted a switch on the dash for not killing the battery when not using the car.

racingbattery_1.jpg

racingbattery_2.jpg

racingbattery_3.jpg

racingbattery_4.jpg

racingbattery_5.jpg

With the special charger there was (missing in the pics) also a thing for quick connecting it to the battery for maintaining the voltage when not in use.. so handful!! (it's got a RC Tamiya connector LOL)

For protecting a bit the underside I've fitted a OEM underbody protection.. here in italy is pretty rare so bought from ebay and came from UK! heavily cleaned and voila'!

underbody_1.jpg

underbody_2.jpg

Managed to find some used bucket seats.. they were a bargain. Full fiberglass construction, only 6 kg each (+hardware)

racing_bucket_seats_1.jpg

For buckets seats you got to use the right harness.. so I've found this lovely 4 point harness from sabelt!

racing_harness_1.jpg

racing_harness_2.jpg

racing_bucket_seats_2.jpg

I'll use them only on trackdays... but wow, driving the car with them is awesome. You literally can feel everything.
Love them so much.

end of part 1

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Part 2.

The day I've received some brake goodies (for me and a mate) but I love pics like this so..

brakes_1.jpg

The new master cylinder with 24mm piston.

brakes_2.jpg

Restored some rear 172 hubs..turned out pretty good!

brakes_3.jpg

brakes_4.jpg

brakes_5.jpg

There has been a time when my clio used to have front brembos but they were loud as hell so for now I've fitted some 206 RC calipers which have a bigger piston than 172 ones and fit my hubs perfectly. But before fitting.. a full overhaul and a nice touch of yellow paint.

brakes_6.jpg

brakes_7.jpg

brakes_8.jpg

Was also time for new tires so... went with NS2R semi to try them and they seem to perform very well.

semi_1.jpg

oh and also changed my alloys with these self refurbished sparco cromodora (15x7j) but for them I'll post pictures on another post.

semi_2.jpg

end of part 2.

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Part 3.

Part 3 is heavy work.. because here I was again into the weight saving thing!
The point is removing all the sound deadening beside the dashboard and near the floor.. so that huge heavy brown thing and some other heavy rubber friends of it.
But since this is not a job you do everyday I've took the opportunity of derusting and painting the dashboard frame, and... no. tell you later.

So let's start destroying my loved car interiors undoing everything.

light_up_1.jpg

light_up_2.jpg

light_up_3.jpg

aaaaaaand here are some parts temporarily (some forever) removed from inside.

light_up_4.jpg

Ok the bail out point here is well over.

light_up_5.jpg

light_up_6.jpg

light_up_7.jpg

Pretty much a mess huh? so.. why not take apart the WHOLE loom to make it more light removing all no more used wires?
All stereo cables, all airbag cables and so on.. why not? why so serious?

light_up_8.jpg

light_up_9.jpg

and i got here.. holy... well..

light_up_10.jpg

But after some more cutting, joining, cloth taping and cursing the whole hell....
The car interiors went together in the end

light_up_11.jpg

The car starts again so.. guess everything went good!
I also fitted a EPAS regulator (forgot to take pics..my bad) so now I can also set my steering aid with a dial near the steering wheel in place of the radio commands.

hope you liked part 1/2/3.. for today is over.. but soon I'll post some more updates.. I've got some other things.. only need time to upload!

..oh I was about to forgot, and for who saw that 182 dash clocks... (in miles, from uk too) it's here because I'm about to need some extra rpm scale... but I've already told too much ;) stay tuned

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Don't know if anyone is interested ...but I'll drop another update.

Tired of crawling under the car everytime I got to remove the seats or shifting from oem to racing... I've decided to mod the oem rails to accept bolts and welded nuts under the chassis !

seats_rails_mod_1.jpg

seats_rails_mod_2.jpg

seats_rails_mod_3.jpg

seats_rails_mod_4.jpg

Bolting the seats from inside the car without having to jack up and crawl under....wow now it's a breeze.

I've also decided to give a new life to the OEM steering wheel.. so I've got it leather wrapped. I like it so much! I really love it.

oem_steering_wheel_1.jpg
oem_steering_wheel_2.jpg
oem_steering_wheel_3.jpg
oem_steering_wheel_4.jpg

and in the end, yesterday I've fitted the OMP pedals. Still got to test them but seems to feel good

omp_pedals.jpg