ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

+’s and -’s of a 1 Farad Power Cap

Must admit im looking to get one of these ive just ordered a new amp (Vibe BB3). I currently have a vibe 12" active sub. Although I havent experienced it with one amp, Ive got a feeling the other electrics may suffer (power dips on bass) with two amps. Ill keep my eye on this thread me thinks. ;)

RX8 231 + New Focus CC3

Ive just bought the bb2 and active 12". And was lookin for ideas cause to be honest i not that clued up on them...:confused:

Polo + Micra

ive had a power cap in my car for about 6 months (running a 340w alpine amp) and i disconnected it the other day.
the bass was much tighter and cleaner and the lights dont seem to dip as much
+ points:
there arnt any IMHO

Hmm me too. They look cool too. Ive just plumbed in two of those rectangle Vibe 6x9 jobbies to my 406 HDI and it was F.. hard work I had to cut loads of metalwork just to get em in, ive gone to all this hard work Im just hoping the I dont need a cap or backup battery.......

Right, i feel i can help. 1 farad is a very large unit of capacitance (to be honest I doubt they are actually 1 farad!), but it is basically a way of storing charge from the battery. This basically means that on longer bass notes, the note will not fade out towards the end and sound a bit crisper. Also the interior lights wont fade as much on bassy notes. Up to you, depends what you want and value for money.

RX8 231 + New Focus CC3

Right so the general concensous is upgrade the amp then if you get boared buy the cap!?

Polo + Micra

nope dont buy a cap
upgrade the earths under the bonnet would be better(they are really small:eek: )

Ziel Nurburgring

Also, it might be worth investing in a good battery. There are some very heavy duty ones out these that would be much cheaper than a cap

Right, well in my car were running 2x 12" 1000watt Vrx subs, off a 1200watt Crunch amp, 8" pioneers and 6x9 pioneers off a 900watt renegade amp. Got a fuse box with 3x 120watt fuses (just to be safe). and a caliber power cap.

With out the power cap the lights flicker and the car looks like a disco. The sound drops when the bass pumps. Paid bout £100 for my power cap, definatly worth while if your serious bout your system

Can help you here guys.....A cap will benefit any system, as long as it not a sh*t cap from maplins.!!!

A good cap will discharge and charge itself very very quickly, where as a cheap cap wont, and will become a resistance to the power flowing through it. Sarahs caliber cap is a good one so its helped her system, and Dink16v yours couldve been a cheaper one which is why it didnt seem to do the job....

I would always put a cap into a system, cos not only does it stop your headlights and dashlights dimming but it also gives you a better mid range quality of music.. Hope this helps !!