ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£10k ish to spend what would you get??

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just for info, my Trophy's just about to hit 50k. Unexpectedly, it hasn't self destructed mission impossible style. In fact, I'd wager a 182 with half the miles would struggle to keep up on a B road.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Hence the extra loan required ;)

A tidy, pre-facelift, 2004, sub-30k miler is circa £14k

I'm after one next and that's what i've budgeted for.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I was in this situation, and I bought an R27 (well my budget was a little bit higher). So I'd say 197 - I preferred it the CTR as it feels faster, it handles a lot better IMHO, and it looks better, and is much nicer inside.

I wasn't particulary interested in anything like Audi S3s, as I wanted something a bit smaller and also Audis/VWs/Skodas etc, IMHO they're all very good cars but a bit boring (yes I know they can have huge power and grip etc - this is only how I feel about them) and they're everwhere. I've only ever seen a few 197s on the road. Just my 2p, and with the 197 you also get the benefit of some warranty left on them :)

Also, the insurance/servicing/mpg seems to be cheap so far on the 197 - it refuses to do less than about 25mpg, and that's spanking it HARD. I saw 34 on a run already! Getting one pre-run in (they seem to take 10k to really loosen up) is the way forward - mines on 11k and it still looks brand new inside and out.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Alot of good fast cars out there for 10k at the moment.

If its reliability and re-sale value its definatley a toss up between a CTR and a Focus RS. The focus is probaly a tickle quicker but not much. For 10k you would be able to pick up a well cherished Focus RS (not that you wouldnt get a mint CTR for that)

Also to consider a Civic JDM either the Ep3 or EK9 (although the ek9 isnt as tourqey as the rest its still very, very quick)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
EK9's are filth. Absolutely love them.

As long as you don't mind the fact that even the newest Ek9's are 7 years old now.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
All three you mention in post 1 are good cars it really depends not how much you can initially spend but how much you want to spend on a daily basis.

The willy is a light car and all 3 will be a lot heavier on petrol than the willy is. Also unlike the willy servicing etc is a lot more complicated on all three than the willy too.

I had a hard enough time even getting to my oil filter on the 172 so id imagine just a simple oil change on a 197 would be a git compared to the willy.

Standard OE break discs for an S3 for example will probably be 3 times the cost of OE parts on the willy.

S3 17 inch tyres are about £150 min, 197 tyres (17's) are about £110

Out of the three a CTR would give you closest running cost to your current car (tax mpg, parts), a 197 will be more expensive to run than your, but like you say is rare compared to the other two parts id guess being double the price of willy bits, S3 will be considerably more expensive to run than the willy, insurance, tax mpg parts.

Both the 197 and CTR prop will give a closer driving experience to the willy than an S3 but all three will feel very detached compared too

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
EK9's are filth. Absolutely love them.

As long as you don't mind the fact that even the newest Ek9's are 7 years old now.

You can still pick up a relativley low mileage Rx 2000 model for 7.5k

That and if they are kept well itll run until the cows come home:rasp:

Writen off dci 100
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/429439.htm

and spend the change on a set of fluffy dice :rasp:

nicely done i was going to say a 182 conversion and the k-tec turbo :) in my current car.

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT

i dont know why anyone is is even thinking about this its a 300bhp clio with 20+k miles on it if i could get insured id have had this last week