ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£250 Project / Road To A 5 door Stanced / Pic Heavy

Expression 16v 1.2
Good Evening Clio Enthusiast

This is is my thread for my £250 1.2 16v Clio With 90k

Bit of background on me...

screwed my GCSE's up hanging with the cool kids at secondary school. so scraped into a course at college signed up for some computing course as I spent my child hood in front of one. day one the course just sucked the fun out of computers so changed my course to mechanics studied mechanics for 3 years and came out a qualified mechanic and got 2 years experience with welder and various welding qualifications. moved out at 16 as my parents are army so they got posted up north I didn't want to do that as I was in a relationship with " the one " haha. lived with a friend for a year then for the last 3 lived with my ex and owned a saxo vtr that was tuned to the brink, lost my job had to sell my saxo my motorbike and then evidently my relationship failed after 3ish years so at nearly 20years of age had to move up north back to my parents with my tail in between my legs, but my parents have been great and have purchased this clio for me to get me back on track :D what are family for aye :) I got high hopes for this clio cut am currently unemployed so bare with me, when I got cash flow the clio with pprobably end up eating it all up :D

Advert_1.jpg
Advert_2.jpg

Advert_3.jpg
Advert_4.jpg

So these are the images of the advert looks Fairley tidy

unfortunately is has been smoked in
there was no service history
it was sold to me v5 only, no service history
and on inspection it has been in a knock but the repairs are very good, the car is straight and the panels are colour matched very well ( pattern part drivers wing, bonnet and bumper ) suspect it was crashed very early in its life due to age on repairs.

but the car was £250 quid and its not got any Accident categorising on paper ;)
the car had a miss fire and was sold to me by a women who was scared to drive it as it was a very moody misfire. (CAT is destroyed due to this misfire running on 2 cylinders)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got it home gave it a quick rinse and removed the hideous wheel trims to see what I was working with and was pretty impressed for 250 squid.

Purchased_1.jpg
Purchased_3.jpg

Purchased_5.jpg
Purchased_6.jpg

Purchased_9.jpg
Purchased_10.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First things first i did an OBD reading and got 2 codes

oxegen senor
single cylcinder misfire

now the oxegen sensory was because of the misfire obviously :)

so single cylinder misfire,

replaced the the plugs with no joy. cleaned the inlet and the throttle body also gave the surounding area a quick going over to.

BEFORE.
Dirtyinlet3_zpscdcf71cd.jpg
Dirtyinlet1_zps5688a9d5.jpg

AFTER.

then read an article about the tamper proof box throwing fault codes and causeing a misfire due to chaffing through wire on the ecu plug.
so got to removing the box to to see the damage (tip use a mirror to unscrew the the box took me seconds once my dad sugested it lol was trying for ages blind to get it undone)

Box Location.
TamperBox_zps8344e9db.jpg

So there was a few wires that we chaffed fixed that cleared the codes and it still misfire so did a simple pulling of the ht leads of the plugs while it was running to find out that it was actually misfiring on 2 cylinders (1 & 4) sort of new that anyways as the engine was wobbling like jelly lol. replaced the coil pack and she was sweet :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

once it was running on all cylinders went to the scrapy and got an engine cover for a coulpe quid :)

EngineCoverDirty1_zps8e55a890.jpg
EngineCoverFixed1_zps3081290e.jpg

and here's a shot of the engine bay with some spit and polish run over it :p

EnigneAfterShot_zpse420145a.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats what i got up to in the first week of having the clio stay tuned for plenty more and a full list of whats to come :D

Expression 16v 1.2
Evening Guys,

Today as there is no service history for the clio I ordered multiple items for a service. filters and oils the usual.

then as there was no evidence of the cambelt being done (engine bay sticker, etc.) I decided to crack the covers off and see what the condition of the belt was, and to my amazement the belt was practically brand new along with the tensioner so quids in there :D

IMG_0450.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After being rewarded with a good ! cambelt, i decided to clean up all the gunk and grim and while i was at it painted the engine mount.
not a fan of the engine mount, draws the eye striaght away lol :) so just stealthed it with some paint :D

Engine_Mount_1.jpg
Engine_Mount_2.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expression 16v 1.2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
okay guys failed my theory today by one mark GUTTED, hey ho rebooked if for next month. but i managed to get a job and made some more progress on the car so here goes :)...

first one was the airbag light the service light was on so guess what the airbag light wasn't so i was guessing it had been knocked out and hey presto it had lol.

Dash_Shot.jpg
Airbag_Light.jpg

while i was under there i found a tracker of some description just chilling next to the air bag all wired up to the ignition. i just removed the sim card and left it :D.

Tracker_4.jpg
Tracker_3.jpg
Tracker_5.jpg
Tracker_2.jpg
Tracker_1.jpg

then after that, traced the wiring under the seat and found this mess and a soldering burn on the plastic matt attached to the carpet under the pedals lol.

Airbag_Wiring.jpg

so stripped all this apart and wired it all back up correctly same with the passenger .
now its iver crash data on the airbag ecu or some other component failed not to sure how to find it without clip so any help ? aha also anyone no the spec of the airbag light/led that has been removed ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After All the wiring was sorted and squared away was left with this mess, factory radio made for a good phone holder to play music while is was flipped upside-down wiring the seats :D
So gave the interior a good clean out.

Dirty_Interior.jpg
Phone_Holder.jpg

BEFORE

Clean_Interior_1.jpg
Clean_Interior_2.jpg

AFTER (Y)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Ordered Some Carbon Fibre Vinyl A While Back And Decided To Add Some To The Interior.

Wraped_Trim_1.jpg
Wraped_Trim_2.jpg

installed_trim_2.jpg
installed_trim_1.jpg
steering_wheel.jpg

over heated a patch on the long strip and then smudged it with my finger apart from that its pretty need the typical thing in these clios now lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next Was To Tackle The Head Lights Took Me An Hour Or 2 There Not Perfect And Need A Deeper Polish But Removed The Oxidation. :)

How They Stood

Before_1.jpg
Before_2.jpg

Started With 600 Wet And Dry

600_Grit_1.jpg
600_Grit_2.jpg

Then Went Onto 1200 Grit

1200_grit_1.jpg
1200_grit_2.jpg

Them To 1500 Grit

1500_grit_1.jpg
1500_grit_2.jpg

Then Finished With A Machine Cut And Polish

After_1.jpg
After_2.jpg
Machine_Polisher.jpg

And A Comparison, So Made A Big Dent But Not Perfect

Before_And_After.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day After Discovered The Rear Wiper Didn't Work So Good Excuse To De-wiper The Rear And Give The Badges A Lick Of Paint :D

what a b*****d it was to get the rear wiper off just like my saxo seized so got the dremel out ;)

De_wiper_1.jpg
De_wiper_2.jpg

Primer.jpg
Colour.jpg

Rear_1.jpg
Rear_2.jpg

Front_1.jpg
Front_2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gave It a Clean And This Is How It Stood For Another Week Or Two.

car_1.jpg
car_2.jpg

image upload without registration

More Updates Coming Soon Stay Tunes ! :D

Last edited:
  Titanium 182
Looks good mate, not bad for a cheap car, it is the little things that can make a bit difference.

Expression 16v 1.2
shes getting there bumper, offside wing and bonnet paint is very thin and is chipped as well as the dented bonnet it also has filler on it don't know what this clio has been through lol so once i got all the little jobs squared away ill iver sport rep it or get them sprayed properly needs a new bonnet really its awful she photographs well lol

The airbag light is a small smd led PLCC-2 3528 (orange) I have loads spare but you can buy them very cheaply on the interwebs.

Coming along nicely, must admit.

Expression 16v 1.2
well long time coming here an update

i have been collecting allsorts for the clio

16s ,
Coilovers,
wind deflectors ,
boss kit / wheel ,
bonnet bra ,
silver indicators ,
spacers ,
172 complete kit ,
K&N inducation kit ,
Wipers ,
172 spoiler ,
Splitter,
Fogs,
Plastidip 10litres :wink:,
Pressed plates,
sunroof repair kit ,
tinted side repeaters,
bumper quick release,
airbag ecu and list goes on and on

its just been piling up so ive taken a week off work and here is a snippit of the progress ive made, FAR from the end

261d934.jpg

261kms6.jpg

ixs9at.jpg

on thing u guys didnt spot which i have only noticed today lol my headight have diffrent coloured inserts one is silver one is black lol !

more soon just mega busy. new job all that stuff more detail coming up !

Expression 16v 1.2
@Wee_Billy_92

relatively easy bud you just get a 12v popper of ebay and wire it up to a switch, its basicly a solinoid that will pull on the previous boot mechanism and open it for yah :) if ur realy clever u can wire it to the rear wiper or washer saving the headache of a new switch.

Expression 16v 1.2
so i did it this weekend was straight forawrd enough, went of the original wiper motor wiring but the gauge was a bit thin so it wasnt powerful enough to open the boot, so i ran 2 wires front the boot popper to the front passanger foot well. put the ground to a anchor on the sill and the took power from the power steering fuse (so when the ignition is off no power is active on the solenoid) and just had an inline fuse and momentary switch will update with a video of it in action :) @Wee_Billy_92