ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'05 182 Starting problems - advice needed

Clio 182 2005
Just after some advice please if anyone has experience of this problem:

'05 plate 182 has recently developed an intermittent starting problem. Most of the time it is starting up no problem, but sometimes it will not start at all and I have had to jump start it, which has worked fine.

The problem looks like this: I put the key in ignition, turn to position two and wait for immobiliser light to turn off. When I turn the key further to start the car I get some solenoid clicking noises, my headlights sometimes flash on/off, and then engine cranks but does not fire up.
I have never had this issue when the car is warm and has been for a drive. It is only when the car is cold. This morning was really cold with ice and that, and the car started but was a little 'laboured'.
It has never cut out whilst idling or driving.

This is what i have looked at so far, all be it only briefly:

Tested the battery – 12.4v
Voltage at 2000 RPM – 14.6
Voltage at idle – 14.5

This is what I am considering might be next to check/do, although I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what they did to remedy it!?
Replace battery?
Replace battery in key? Try starting with the spare key if the problem happens again?
Remove and clean TDC sensor - seems a common thing on this forum
Check / replace earth strap?

Any advice much appreciate as the car is my daily and I cant be doing with not being able to rely on it starting when I need it to!

Westfield, 182, 200
Is the battery at 12.4v before you start the car in the morning, or after you've run it for a while?

Clio 182 2005
Is the battery at 12.4v before you start the car in the morning, or after you've run it for a while?
I drove it to work and it sat for like 2.5 hours, then the battery got tested. But my drive to work is really short, roughly 5 miles down dual carriage way and barely enough time to even get the engine warm! I did wonder whether my short daily drive is part of the issue....

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Won’t help especially this time of year too. Take it for a decent run every now and then

Clio 182 2005
Cheers guys. Replacement battery is on the car and so far no problems. The laboured start up has disappeared too so I'm presuming it was battery too. Thats a relief :)

Clio 182 2005
OK so just a little after note on this actually if anyone can help?
It seems I may have blown a fuse or something somehow during replacing the battery because now my bloody boot will not unlock and my side lights dont work!
Any ideas if it is a fuse, and if so which one??