ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v OR 1.5d?

Clio 1.5dci
I had plans to buy a 1.5d, but they are much fewer of them available and the two I was interested in were already sold when I called.

There are a lot more 1.2 16v, any thoughts as to the pro's and con's between them?

It's a car I plan to have for a year or two, as my girlfriend is just about to pass her test and can't afford to run her own car. Nor can she get insured on anything I actually want :)

On topic, would you touch CAT c with a barge pole?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...0/quicksearch/true/postcode/gu113ra?logcode=p

Last edited:
  DCi 100
I wouldn't go near a Cat C 1.2 purely just because the amount of straight decent ones that are available is high. You'll always have trouble selling it on as if it's tainted IMO so steer clear.

Which DCi was it you were going for? 65 is roughly the equivalent to a 1.2. The DCi holds cheaper tax, more MPG amongst other stuff. There's plenty of threads hanging around with information along with ClioDCI.net.

Wouldn't go near a Cat'd car at all. Don't see the point. Would rather a higher mileage or older version.

Diesel vs 1.2 ... depends what you want. Both cheap to insure, but as Alex says, less on tax, better on MPG etc . . .

Clio 1.5dci
Yea economy is high on the cards at the moment, so by the sounds of it - it's probably worth holding out for a 1.5d.

Looking for an 80 as 100 is more tax.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
1.2 16v is dog s**t, ive had 2, dci is much more refined and better to drive

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I'd definately have the dci over a 1.2 16v

Cheap to insure, tax and run, dont often hear of them breaking down either and it will hold its value when you come to sell, due to there not being many around

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
If I was buying again, I'd pick the dci over the 1.2 every day of the week.

Stagecoach Ticket
i agree with all of the above i think the DCI is a better car but the price of a decent 1.2 16v compared to a decent 100 dci is alot! you would have to be doing heavy millage over the 1/2 years of ownership to save money on your original spend out.

Cat'd cars are not all bad providing the repair has been done to a decent standard only thing is as alex sais it will be hard to sell on due to the amount of examples around but if you could get it for 1k surely will be worth £800 on resale in a few years as a run around

Italian 3.2 V6
Jeeeezzzz, 130k on a 1.5 Clio diesel. No thanks! Wouldn't trust that lol.

Iv herd these the 1.2/1.4/1.5/1.6 mk2 clio's are unreliable after 80k..

Might be wrong.

PSJ.

DCi 100
Nooo.... mine!!

Pwease? I want to go down and see it lol.

Might be wrong.

PSJ.

With people like Fred/Birchdown doing cheap work these days and parts as common as muck I can't really see anything being drastically bad going wrong. Gearbox clutch turbo etc are probably in the firing line as with other stuff. :)

Jap Box

Might be wrong.

PSJ.

Diesel cars with higher miles are not that bad really, my petrol is on almost 130k now and thats going smoothly, just had the norm services done etc and everything is dandy :)

DCi 100
Won't have bought it by then mate, if you want it then go and get it. But post up if it's a dog and you don't! :)

as much as id rate a dci you do have to bare in mind if its goes wrong they can be more expensive to fix if you want cheap id say the 1.2 isnt to bad an your get more for your money

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Diesel all day long, and I've got a 1.2, a very mint one aswell. Slow as sh*t, not particulary economical for what it is. Quite a rough engine aswell tbh, can't wait to get rid of mine!

Discounted 1*2 parts
DCI handsdown - our DCI averages 70mpg + and have probably the same performance as a 1.2 if not better. Its a lot more drivable being turbo.

We paid £3500 for an 05 plate dci 80 with FRSH to give you some idea of the going rate

Discounted 1*2 parts
I had to drive a brand new 1.2 clio home tonight and it was the most gutless, slugish bag of crap ive ever driven!!!

Clio 1.5dci
Got up this morning at 5am to make my way over to look at the Clio off autotrader, bought it and played the MPG game home 140 miles, 75mpg average.... I win!

Albi blue 197
ive had both mate ive had the 1.2 16v and ive got a 1.5d now with 65bhp and the diesel is so much better !! 30quid road tax i get roughly 600 miles before light comes on from full tank and when you tune them they end up alot faster than the 1.2's !! a lot better with deisel mate

Clio 182
Dci all the way. I had a Dci 80, remapped it and it was a very torquey car. It didn't feel far off the pace of my 182 and it'll cost almost half as much to run as a petrol equivilent. There's really no need to even consider a 1.2, 1.4 or 1.6 petrol clio unless you really can't afford that bit extra to buy a Dci in the first place. 60+ MPG, £30 tax (£20 for the Dci 80) and torque of the devil FTW! There's also more faults with the 1.poo's, especially electrical.

320d
I'd have the dci. I'd never buy another 1.2 Clio, or 1.2 anything, but the dci's are pretty damn good tbh.

clio 1.2
dci's are good, expensive when they go wrong - injectors mainly as there over £200 each! my mum has a dci and its wicked on fuel tax etc, as for mileage 130k is nothing i've seen them with 200k on! my astra 1.6 has 154k runs and drives like new with vauxhall service history

extreme 16v 1.2 silv
Hi i have just got the clio extreme 1.2 16v its my 1st car but pretty nice, not very fast tho. but they are well worth it :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
dci 100 isnt more to tax, its £30 just like the 65 and the 80.

ive had a 1.2 16v, dci 65 and dci 100 and id choose the dci hands down, cheaper to tax, massive mpg (lets face it 1.2's are terrible on fuel for what they are!) i was getting 20 miles less to a tank in my 172 than i got in my 1.2!

dci 100 is a cracker of a car i had a mapped one running 130bhp and 190lbft, was awesome, only reason i sold it is because ive ordered a GT DCi, however they hold their money, you can get a good 65 for not a lot of money these days.

dci 65 is 1.2 pace but with loads more torque so feels quicker especially when moving. 80 is 1.4 pace and 100 is 1.6 pace, a little quicker once moving