ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 Clio handbrake problem

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Just thought I'd try posting on here - a mate with a 1.2 Clio (extreme I think - maybe on an 03 plate....?) just rang to say he took his handbrake off fine this morning, but when he went to put it back on there's nothing at all - just flat out isn't working.

Inevitably he wants me to have a look at it on the weekend - any idea what the problem could be? I know this is vague request with almost no information...but just looking for some ideas?

Perhaps part of the cable has snapped in the cold weather? Or maybe some kind of clips have slipped out/got jammed in the cold?

If it is the handbrake cable, is it a hard job to do? I've got wheel ramps I could get the car on, although with no handbrake it's could be a little tricky getting it to stay on there - but presumably leaving it in gear and chocking it would be ok?

I've never changed a handbrake cable on a car with rear drum brakes - what does this involve?

Thanks

when he says it isn't working, what's happening with the lever?

is it loose?

ed. btw, according to Haynes (have you got one?), it's a drum/shoe off job for the cables

Last edited:
  Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Just spoken to him again and he's been out playing with it and apparently if you pull it up really hard as high up as it goes you get a little bit of handbrake - so sounds like maybe it's loosened off?

On his old 306 there was a t-piece inside the car you could get to to tighten it up, but apparently he can't see anything like that in the clio.

Sounds like something has slipped suddenly when he's taken the brake off this morning?

Ideally would like to avoid changing cables (especially in this weather) if it's a drum/shoe removal to do it!

I haven't got a Clio anymore (used to have a 182), and he doesn't have a haynes manual. That would be too easy!

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
sounds like theres a broken cable somewhere, removing the drum is easy you will need a big breaker bar 30mm socket iirc and 2 flat screwdrivers. if you are not confident changing the cable then i would take it to a garage.