ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 engine knock/shudder @ idle. Please help!?!

Clio
Hey eveveryone

A bit of background... Firstly it's a clio 1.2 dynamique 2002 with 54000 miles.
the past few weeks the car has developed a problem, when I start the car it idles above 1000rpm, (no problem at this stage) as it warms up and the idle drops to about 700rpm. As its getting warm and even when it's up to temperature, there is a moderate knock from the engine which causes the revs to dip. It's kin of like a chug, and normally goes chug, chug if you can imagine, like double chugs. On lookin at the engine it shakes when it does this, there also sounds like when it does this there is a slight backfire through the exhaust.. Also at low revs in low gears it seems to chug from time to time, takes a bit to get going and almost makes the car kangaroo. This almost feels like a clutch problem, don't know if they are linked
so I took it to the garage and on the diagnostics there was a problem with a sensor, he replaced the crank sensor and told me it was now fine and that this was causing it to knock and jump a bit at low revs.. Drove it home and although it didn't chug whilst driving, the knock/ chug on the engine is still there. I'm going to phone them back tomorrow, but any ideas on what the problem may be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Clio
Ok still have the problem, had crank sensor replaced and did nothing, now the garage say it may be a faulty abs ecu which is expensive! My query is whether this is at all linked to the engine shudder, rough running, kangaroo in low gears that I'm experiencing? I don't have any problems with speedo, braking, or warning lights, this makes me think whether I have a different, mechanical problem causing the symptoms?

2001 1.2 Expresion
I've got a knocking noise coming from my driver's side front wheel (not sure where you hear the noise from) - someone told me it could be a broken engine mount but I'm yet to get it looked at properly. Same engine as you so could be a common fault. I've just had a new clutch put in my car so I doubt it's that.