ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 engine modification

ur megane r26
hiya people now i knmow alot of you are going to say dont bother it is not worth it but i am really curious about what i would have to do to get the most out of a 1.2 performance wise. so what do i need to do to get the most out of my car, this is probably one for middo so

cheers for any help much appreciated

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Lose weight. Easily reversible, free and will give the biggest gains.

Chocolate Bar™
a viper and a good air feed made the biggest difference on my 1.2. Also put on a sports cat and stealth system, which seemed to make it slightly more torquey. Was rolling roaded at 85bhp, so 10 on standard.

ur megane r26
yer thats really good cheers guys i got a panel filter on and a backbox on the car atm and want it a bit quicker and am realli up for doing the modifications myself, i aint no mechanic but i have sort of got the frame of mind for it and i also got alot of mates who are mechanics so thats useful i am actually thinking of getting an induction kit as well as i am gettin good money atm and i havent got any bills or notin lol so

ur megane r26
how much did you spend on your car middo? if you dont mind me asking and what are all of the modifications that you made? and does the decat make alot of difference noise wise?

Evo 6, E92 320d
Same engine but PH1, i got a k and n induction kit and an Ashley cat-back system with twin 3" pipes. Definately breathes better and is a bit nippier but that is it really.
I got torn a new a*s by a Golf Gti today so performace parts on a little engine make no difference.

ST
Same engine but PH1, i got a k and n induction kit and an Ashley cat-back system with twin 3" pipes. Definately breathes better and is a bit nippier but that is it really.
I got torn a new a*s by a Golf Gti today so performace parts on a little engine make no difference.

What Gti was it matey?? MK1/2/3/4 or 5?

ur megane r26
yer well they make some difference but you are always gonna get raped by someone bigger than you, i mean if you got a 2.0 full of modifications you can still get f**ked ova by someone else wit a standard car eh lol but i just wana know about all of the different mods which can be done and which do give increases in performance, such as a full exhaust system, induction kit, performance leads and plugs? etc etc and what can i use from a 2.0l to give me gains, if anything? cams?

Evo 6, E92 320d
Since fitting exhaust and induction kit acceleration is mildly quicker and the sound is quite nice too:), but it does nothing for top end at all.

ur megane r26
ooo yer i no my panel filter dont do notin top end, i am going to be getting a cold air feed soon, but im not sure whether to just save my money and buy a full on induction kit with cold air feed, and also since i have got the new backbox on there it picks up alot more and alot free'r but i just need a bit more power, say i didnt want to take out the rear seats what else is there to strip out so it is lighter?

Chocolate Bar™
how much did you spend on your car middo? if you dont mind me asking and what are all of the modifications that you made? and does the decat make alot of difference noise wise?

on th engine, about 1,5k. Didnt make anything myself bar the cold air feed. I do have photos of it if your interested, but to be honest spending that much on mods isnt worth it. I'd save your money and get a good set of coilovers, best mod i did to mine, and kept up with much faster cars round the twisties

ur megane r26
yer would be well up for the pictures if thats ok, yer well i dont realli want to spend that much but i will if necessary in bits you know but i just basically want to keep the car and modify it untill i can drop a 2.0l lump in it

Chocolate Bar™
0390.jpg

0386.jpg

ur megane r26
oo thats nice mate i like the new cover and is that a pipercross viper ik? how much did that set you back?

Chocolate Bar™
yeah tis indeed. Bought it second hand, was around the 100 quid mark if i remember correctly.

ur megane r26
thats really good if i could find one for that price i would snap it up straight away lol, how much do you reckon a decat would cost? brand new and second hand and does it make much of a difference noise wise and performance wise?

Chocolate Bar™
my sports cat was 150 quid, decats are less than that. Best bet is to buy a second hand cat and bash the internals out of it. Noise wise it'll make it more raspy, performance wise depends on the car really

ur megane r26
ok so buy second hand cat and take the internals out ok do you reckon they will be more expensive that buyin that welsh dudes decat? as he has dropped the price now

Evo 6, E92 320d
Iirc 1.2 16v's don't respond overly well to a decat? and that a sports cat would be better.

FIAT PANDA 100HP!!!!
mate i can vouch for the viper on a 1.2, i bought it off middo. made a difference, tho any induction kit will release more torque, and def a stainless stealth exhaust too. made mine a different beast!

Evo 6, E92 320d
If what k-tec say is true though its probably better to live with, especially if its for an every day car.

When i fitted my K and n it made a nice difference due to the weather being a bit cooler, but as soon as the warmer weather came around i was getting a massive flat spot between 1500-2500 rpm, fitting a ducting hose helped though.

ur megane r26
lol different beast see that is what i am looking for i just need to find a good second hand, cheap viper ik lol

ur megane r26
so what about leads, spark plugs? cams etc what will changing/modifying them and other things like them do to performance?

FIAT PANDA 100HP!!!!
i wouldn't really bother with the above mate, just induction and exhaust will make a difference. if a viper is too expensive, a pipercross open filter (standard ik) will make a difference, this is what i was running.

ur megane r26
ok mate kool cheers well if anyone else has any advice other than dont bother than i will be more than happy to accept it lol cheers guys much appreciateed