ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 lowering question

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
im looking to get my car lowered, as its like a tractor at the minute with the massive arch gaps!

im interested in getting Eibachs Pro's as ive heard very good things about them. but how much will they lower my car by, i will upload a picture of the gap when i get home later, but if someone could graffiti the picture to where it would sit. Would they remove much gap?

along with the springs ive been offered a set of cup dampers, what are these and do i need them? i really am amateur with these things. its really not my knowledge territory!

last question. Am i good to straight swap the eibach pros for the standard springs or is there anything i have to do as well? car has 73k if thats any help with that answer, and will things straight to wear more?

i hope someone can help! :smile:

Listerine & Poledo
Cup dampers may not actually fit due to "hub spacing". (I could be wrong here, but it seems to be a thing whenever anyone tries to create a "replica")

My quick answer to your entire post though would be "dont bother". But judging my your profile avatar, it seems I'm too late on that. In which case, yeah, don't go for a silly-low drop (60mm or something retarded like that) as :-

1) Stock shocks will die
2) The ride will be worse that being kicked in the kick by chuck norris, every 30 yards (no, not in a cool way, you're driving a shopping-spec Clio)

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Cup dampers may not actually fit due to "hub spacing". (I could be wrong here, but it seems to be a thing whenever anyone tries to create a "replica")

My quick answer to your entire post though would be "dont bother". But judging my your profile avatar, it seems I'm too late on that. In which case, yeah, don't go for a silly-low drop (60mm or something retarded like that) as :-

1) Stock shocks will die
2) The ride will be worse that being kicked in the kick by chuck norris, every 30 yards (no, not in a cool way, you're driving a shopping-spec Clio)

Don't think I'll need the cup dampers then thank you!

Yeah a lot of people say don't bother it's just a 1.2, and then other people say carry on go ahead enjoy your car. For me it's a hobby and I enjoy working on my car. And what better way to start by playing around with my cheap Clio now. Don't you think it's better to learn about these things and try them out on something cheaper than 'not bothering' and starting out from a beginner with no knowledge what so ever and messing up a 10-20k car because of not having the knowledge? I know it's just opinion etc but I'm more of a DIY person so I like doing things myself.

I'm not wanting a silly drop either, I can't stand cars that are slammed with BBS or whatever they're called! just not my cup of tea. Not looking to spend huge amounts on the car either. Just little things, build up some knowledge. In my project thread at the start and on a little bit I wasn't bothered about lowering or spacing the wheels out or anything but a lot of the feedback I've got has been about those 2 things! despite being not keen from the start after lots of comments about it I've gradually gone with the crowd and thought yeah a little lowered would look nice, and a little spaced out. Not sure if it's peer pressure or what. Just like with Joes 1.4 BG182 replica, he had those funny looking rear lights, he loved them! But after a while and a lot of comments from people he changed them back to standard. Fact is when I got my car I wasn't even bothered about doing anything to it, until I looked on here. This website has been the reason I've done things to my car hahaha. I love doing it.

Anyway, went off topic a little there

All I want really is a little drop, so would those eibach pros be worth it?

Cheers for your comments!

Also, mileage does not affect what mods you can do to your car :smile:

Take advice from above and you will be fine.

I didn't know if the mileage of the car affected the shocks, whether the standard shocks would be okay with new lower springs. That's why I mentioned mileage

Will do mate cheers.

If you have been offered cup shocks with the eibach pro's wouldnt that mean the eibach's are probably for a sport not a non sport?

Yeah probably mate! I don't have a clue about it, hence why I'm asking ;) didn't know there was sports and non sport springs. Would I be better to just save more money and get some cheaper apex springs 30mm or whatever they're called? Cheers

Corolla T-Sport
I had eibach sportlines on my 1.2 which I just sold. Ride quality is better than standard and not trashy which APEX springs will be. 40mm drop will reduce the arch gap a fair amount and is usually ok to run with standard shocks, I had no issues. I would say go for sportlines not prolines as the prolines will feel tighter and reduce roll but not drop it a noticeable amount.
Make sure you get non sport springs though mate.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Ah right.
If your buying new springs, although its not necessary, it would be nice to have new shocks to freshen it all up.
However, keeping costs down just use the "if its not broke, don't fix it" approach. No point replacing things if they are still good :)

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
I had eibach sportlines on my 1.2 which I just sold. Ride quality is better than standard and not trashy which APEX springs will be. 40mm drop will reduce the arch gap a fair amount and is usually ok to run with standard shocks, I had no issues. I would say go for sportlines not prolines as the prolines will feel tighter and reduce roll but not drop it a noticeable amount.
Make sure you get non sport springs though mate.

Has anyone got any pictures of the difference between sport lines and pros?
I heard it was pros for go and sports for show? Did you find it was still comfortable? I read that pros are comfier than sports? Don't suppose you had pictures of the difference mate? Isn't reduced roll good? ahh fair enough. Now I'm totally stumped sport lines or pros, hmm!

Ah right.
If your buying new springs, although its not necessary, it would be nice to have new shocks to freshen it all up.
However, keeping costs down just use the "if its not broke, don't fix it" approach. No point replacing things if they are still good :smile:

I agree it's not necessary, but I think it will make it look better, and if I can improve the ride then great. yeah I think I will go with that approach. I'm mostly bothered about looks really!

Cheers

Yeah probably mate! I don't have a clue about it, hence why I'm asking :wink: didn't know there was sports and non sport springs. Would I be better to just save more money and get some cheaper apex springs 30mm or whatever they're called? Cheers

How much were you willing to pay for them mate? I have came across a set of H&R's on ebay, off a mk2 1.2. Seller has relisted them as they didnt sell, first bid £50, delivery is a bit ridiculous tho. If you interested i can find it for you.

Not sure on if Eibach vary their springs between sports and non sports but Im pretty sure i have heard somwhere before that sports springs bottom out of the front when fitted to non sports, that could be total bull tho haha.

After running cheap coilovers i would definatley invest in a good quality brand if i did it again. Very uncomfortable ride but loads of people kept telling me you need to have one really low uncomfortable car once in your life, i've had it and probably wont ever again.

Cant remeber the brand i was going to go for before i got coilies, will try and remember for you