ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 to 1.6?

a few bolts on's K&N 57i gen2, Raceland 4-1 manifold, de cat, ktec stealth, a proper service using the best parts.
and the thing thats made the most difference, stripped it out and gave it decent rubber (T1r's)

Instead of 0-60 in 10.5, it now does it in 8.

A18XHO is that you?!

320d
100's arn't much faster than 80's especially day to day as the 100 delivers its power higher up the rev range, 100 has much more potential though if you are into modding, 130hp/190lbft easily had, uprate the clutch and well over 200lb/ft is available.

they drive much better too with the hydraulic clutch, better more modern gearbox with the linkage on top so no gearstick movement.

Gear level movement on MK2 Clio's is comical. I've had three now and its always amused me. I think my 1.2 had the most movement and it was by far the newest and most low mileage.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
To be honest maybe you would just be better keeping the 1.2. They're designed for short journeys and around town. If you rarely venture out of town and onto motorways etc then the 1.2 should be more than adequate.

1.2's aren't even to bad on motorways, acceleration isn't great but they'll happily cruise at 70-90 all day with no fuss.

I have done just short of a 300 mile round trip in my 1.2 and you're right, it wasn't too bad. It did sound like it was going to blow up when pushing it mind.

I would definitely keep my 1.2 if it weren't for the problems I've got. I like mint cars and this is far from mint now, unforunately.

E30 318iS x2
It's a good step IMO. There is the obvious obsession with having a sport as it is afterall, ClioSPORT.net but people never take into account the extra costs that people may not be able to afford. The 1.6 will give you near enough an extra 30bhp (taking into account that quote figures in brochures are BS but giving them some credit) and it will feel like a different car and you'll prob love it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Gear level movement on MK2 Clio's is comical. I've had three now and its always amused me. I think my 1.2 had the most movement and it was by far the newest and most low mileage.

yeah they are terrible, 172/182s arnt bad due to the 4th engine mount between the gearbox and subframe, dci100's dont need this due to the linkage being ontop of the box tho, their is no movement in the gearstick, if there is then a mount is on its way out!

LY 200
Is it really 25 before you can get insured on a decent hot hatch these days?

I was 19 when I had my valver (paying 900 quid insurance) and I'm sure there were many other's on here at the time being 18/19 insuring performance hatches for that sort of money too. lol

320d
Is it really 25 before you can get insured on a decent hot hatch these days?

I was 19 when I had my valver (paying 900 quid insurance) and I'm sure there were many other's on here at the time being 18/19 insuring performance hatches for that sort of money too. lol

Not really. You just pay more on insurance. I pay about £1100 on a 182 at 21. Insurance has gone up a lot recently mind, I only paid £1300 on a ph1 172 at 19.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Done some number crunching and suddenly a Dci is looking a lot more appealing.

Been looking at Dci 80's. With a decent remap, which'd be quicker? The Dci or a 1.6?

Before anyone says anything, I know they're not going to super quick blah blah blah and I know there's a big difference in torque etc.

Clio S & VW T5

Been looking at Dci 80's. With a decent remap, which'd be quicker? The Dci or a 1.6?

Before anyone says anything, I know they're not going to super quick blah blah blah and I know there's a big difference in torque etc.

The DCi. Easily. You get way more from a remap on anything with a turbo...

But if you added a 57i, K&N, a stealth thingy and some neons you'd be into Gallardo territory

320d

Dci, said it all along. The 80's are a really good car. I couldn't believe how well they pulled for what they are when I first went in one. Plus at 70mph it will do around 70mpg.

have a look over on cliodci.net there's loads of info on buying, running and modding them.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair if 1.6s are doing 0-60 in 8 seconds then get one.

If not I'd go for a dci.

The difference in quotes for different people really does amaze me. I'm 21 and I pay just over £1000 with mods declared. Without the mods it was circa £870. Thats in the second to worst postcode too.

Weo

Well gutted this thread didn't come up a year ago, the 197 is 7 secs ish to 60 but obviously should of brough a 1.4 would of saved loads for a measly second...

1.6 Dynamique & 182
I went from a 1.2 to a 1.6 (Dynamique) to a 182 and I can tell you categorically you'll have a blast in it. I think a 1.6 with decent suspension and tyres would be amazing fun.

MCS R56
a few bolts on's K&N 57i gen2, Raceland 4-1 manifold, de cat, ktec stealth, a proper service using the best parts.
and the thing thats made the most difference, stripped it out and gave it decent rubber (T1r's)

Instead of 0-60 in 10.5, it now does it in 8.

If i had to buy any of the non sports i'd have the 1.4 1.6 or dci100

Classic! The benefits of a K&N filter and a proper service.