ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1/4 Miling Santa Pod / York times

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Ive just been reading a thread on Scoobynet where someone had the following opinion.

Crail / York etc are a waste of time unless you want to brag down the pub I suppose....
The times are 0.5 - 1 sec faster than the FIA approved POD in my experience...

So I was wondering has anyone run at both the Pod and York/Crail and if so is there any truth in it? 0.5-1 sec seems like a HUGE difference to me!?:confused:

Nippy white cup

Im not 100% but Im sure weight ran a 14.2 at the pod but a 14.4/5 at York. Might be wrong but I wouldnt have said there would be much difference, and definatley not .5secs. Yorks track aint exactly the best...

Chris

williams and trophy

ive run at both....but i havent run the willy at pod.....i ran a 16.0 at pod in me valver on me 2nd ever run...took me 6 months at york to beat it........think weight also ran a 14.7 at pod, then also ran a 14.7 at york........so think they roughly the same times.. altho i would expect pod to be a little quicker due to the grip avaliable all the way down the strip

BMW 320d Sport

Hmmmm, Id say I agree that York is faster although not for the same reason that Mr Jealous on Scoobynet says. York has the advantage for road cars that it has a choice of launch zones, depending on whether you are running road tyres or slicks. As there is a very close correlation between time gained/lost over the first 60ft and the complete quarter mile run, then this obviously makes a difference. For the majority of road cars (i.e. less than 500bhp) the surface at both Santa Pod and York is relatively good once youre up to the 330ft mark and youre unlikely to keep spinning all the way to the line, so that can be discounted.

York themselves will tell you that the road car launch surface is worth 2/10 of a second and thats near enough what I reckoned it at a couple of years ago when I was doing a lot of runs at both dragways - somewhere around 0.3 seconds quicker at York I always found.

I wouldnt say theyre the same at all, York IS definitely faster IMHO but I am pretty certain its down to the launch zone/first 60ft of road surface, not some timing error or any other crap like that. Im also pretty sure that most of the time at the Pod youre driving into the wind but couldnt say for certain. I do know that they spray a load of glue and sh*t on the track for the benefit of the one junior dragster that keeps barging in on the RWYB cars the whole time. I can say without a doubt that when I ran a mailto:14.1@99mph">14.1@99mph at Santa Pod, if Id then gone up to York that would have been a mailto:13.8@106mph">13.8@106mph or thereabouts.

Put it this way, not taking anything away from those that put in their times at York, cos Ive done a lot of times there myself, but if I was after saying Im the quickest, I would do a run at both York AND the Pod and not just rely on one or the other. Pod timing gear f**ks up just as often as anywhere else, the amount of wacko results you get in one lane only at the Pod is unreal.

clio 20v

york aint no quicker all thru 2003 i ran 14.3s 14.4s and the odd 14.2 gettin 14 plus runs in most days at york

first day of 2004 racin i went the pod 2nd run i hit 14.3 then a 14.4 an i got no more runs in after that

most people i speak to reckon pod is quick if u can get it right if u can race at the pod u can race anywhere

adi

BMW 320d Sport

Well there you have it then. Some people do get similar results at both, others dont. Best way is to run at both venues then youll know for yourself.

Clio 172 cup

This topic has often been discussed on the Gt turbo forums and most people reckon that york is slightly faster than the pod, one gt turbo owner once managed a 11.9-12.3 all day at york but could not do any better than 12.6 at the pod, quite unbelievable but true! But there are many factors to consider such as the grip in the tarmac and air temperature and weather.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I got the impression that York times were slightly quicker than the pod on the whole but I guess there are too many variables to be an accurate comparison. Hope to compare times from Elvington with York Raceway soon.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

might be down to the surface on the start! pod has been slippy as fuk the past 3 times i went, even 1.4s were spinning in 2nd!