ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.5 DCI airlock issues

Kangoo, XJ, Jeep GC
Morning all.

Major airlock headaches here.

Coolant system drained, rad flushed and reverse flushed, block flushed with hosepipe in thermostat and hosepipe in expansion tank. Run up to temp with heaters on full with just water in to try and flush complete system, then drained again, flushed again new thermostat fitted, and gently, slowly added anti-freeze 50/50 with water mix.

When I ran it up to temp with just water in, did so with fast idle, (2500rpm), for 20 minutes. Although the heaters were nice and hot, the temp gauge stayed at half way, the radiator fan didn't kick in.

After second draining, flushing, fitting of new thermostat and running up to temp at fast idle (2500rpm) for 40 minutes, the rad fan still didn't come on and the temp gauge started to drop to 1/4 heat. Top hose and bottom hose both cold and soft, not solid(ish) like I'd expect them to be. Expansion tank is also cold.

Whilst I slowly and gentle filled the system, I had the bleed screw on the top pipe open / removed until pure coolant came out, same too with the tyre dust cap type valve on the thermostat (89 deg C).

I know that my rad isn't blocked, as it flushed and reverse flushed fine. I know that non of my pipes are blocked, as again, during flushing, there was plenty of water coming out of them.

My expansion tank isn't pressurising, or at least when I take the cap off after running for 40 minutes, it's not pressurised.

Anyone got any ideas ? I was chasing this problem for a couple of hours last night before throwing in the towel. Just going to go outside and change my brake fluid before having another crack at the fun game of 'chase the airlock in the coolant system'.

In advance, many thanks.

Kangoo, XJ, Jeep GC
And how much oil do these things hold ? The Haynes Book of Lies says 5 litres, but I’ve put in 6.25 and it’s still only half way on the dipstick.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Drive it about for 15 minutes and actually put load on the engine to warm it up and for the waterpump to force antifreeze around. Diesels run a lot cooler than a petrol too so take twice as long to warm up.

My old dCi 100 took about 6 litres of oil. Some seem to take up to 7 litres on the K9K 728