ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 / 182 Oil temperature?

Simbo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hi guys - If anyone has a separate oil pressure / oil temperature gauge, can you tell me what temperature your oil runs at - for normal driving conditions and for spirited driving / trackdays?
My dashboard water temperature gauge ALWAYS reads 'normal' (presumably around 90 deg. C ?) and the electric fan cuts-in and out as expected, but for normal driving my oil temperature is always in excess of the coolant temperature - running at about 94/95 deg. C. Is this usual?
The oil temperature then increases rapidly to around 110 deg. C following, literally, only a minute or two of hard driving?! Again, is this normal? And what is an acceptable max temperature for oil before an oil cooler is required?
My coolant system has been thoroughly bled of airlocks and I'm currently using Fuchs ester-based 5W-40 fully synthetic oil.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Water temp gauge stays in the same place most of the time but in reality the coolant temp is up and down.

80-94deg oil temps pretty normal though on cruising, in normal weather. Id expect the oil to be within a few degrees of coolant temp when driving normally. 110deg is fine if driving quick.

With good oil 130s should not cause too much of an issue on track.

Simbo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Mine sees anywhere from 80-95 on the road and up to 130c on track.

No issues in nearly 10 years of ownership.
Ah. That's great news! Many thanks for your feedback.
The thing is... a couple of weeks ago I had the car re-mapped and the oil temperature seems to have increased by about 5 or 6 deg. C - even for normal driving. But I guess this isn't anything to worry about. I didn't mention the re-map in my post for fear of complicating the issue. But as the oil temps I've quoted are within the typical range then I've no further concerns. Thanks again...

Simbo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Water temp gauge stays in the same place most of the time but in reality the coolant temp is up and down.

80-94deg oil temps pretty normal though on cruising, in normal weather. Id expect the oil to be within a few degrees of coolant temp when driving normally. 110deg is fine if driving quick.

With good oil 130s should not cause too much of an issue on track.
Many thanks for your response. Yes, I'd always thought the oil would be within a few degrees of the coolant temp (typically 90 deg. C) which is why I was surprised to see the oil rise to 110 deg. C. Although, without the pressurisation of the coolant it would boil anyway, so I guess it must actually be more than 90 deg...?
Thanks again.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Pretty normal to see 20-30deg higher oil temps than coolant when your driving it hard or on track. My oil temp has been going up fast with the higher ambient temps this summer.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If you're looking to do longer track sessions, it might be worth looking at a small 13 or 16 row cooler and run it with a thermostatic sandwich plate.

Simbo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Pretty normal to see 20-30deg higher oil temps than coolant when your driving it hard or on track. My oil temp has been going up fast with the higher ambient temps this summer.
During recent hillclimbs, which amount to blasts of only 40 - 55 seconds, my oil temp has been increasing by 20 degrees! So I hate to think what trackday oil temperatures must have peaked at this summer?!

Simbo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
If you're looking to do longer track sessions, it might be worth looking at a small 13 or 16 row cooler and run it with a thermostatic sandwich plate.
Yes, I've been investigating this option and may decide to go down this route purely to avoid the extreme upper end of the temperature range. But at least it seems the temperatures I have been seeing till now haven't been anything to worry about. Thanks again for your feedback