ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.5dci engine not starting

Renault
Hi Guys i am new here i have a 1.5dci k9k engine that would not start and gives DF137 fault code can someone please guide me in the right direction

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Need more details on the DF137, Whats the state of the error code, minimum or maximum? More to it than just the code. It will be leak off test time

Renault
Need more details on the DF137, Whats the state of the error code, minimum or maximum? More to it than just the code. It will be leak off test time
Hi Brigsy thanks for the reply, so here is some background on what happened and what i have done so far, i was driving on a straight level road and suddenly the car was speeding up by it self even after i left the accelerator this lasted about 3sec and then it died , ever since I couldn’t get it to start, when I put my scanner on i got the DF137 signal outside lower limit so i then check the fuel pressure regulator for operation and for brass from pressure pump all was well, next I did the leak test on the injectors all is good, i then monitor the fuel pressure on the scanner while attempting to start and found it fluctuates between -3 to 19 bar from what i have read this is way to low. It did spike at one stage to just above 100 and almost started but after that the highest it would go was 19 bar, i then suspected the regulator I have replaced it today but still the same

Renault
055B3B08-7FCA-42C4-BCCF-67694076B38D.jpeg
5E685B10-4475-42C6-9C66-197E9537F38E.jpeg

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Need to do the dead head pump test with the correct Delphi kit to see if it can produce the correct amount of bar.
Have you tried giving it a tiny bit of sniff to see if it’ll start and keep running ?

Renault
Need to do the dead head pump test with the correct Delphi kit to see if it can produce the correct amount of bar.
Have you tried giving it a tiny bit of sniff to see if it’ll start and keep running ?
Hi ok i got it going with the quick start I checked the rail pressure and went up to 1500 bar while driving but it does run uneven and wit a diesel knock on low revs as soon as you go above 2500rpm it goes away, i did check the leak off on the injectors again and all good and loosened the injector pipes one by one while running and every time I loosen one the engine stalling, now getting a new code 017060 un known fault, attached is a short video

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
That sounds to me like a bad injector. Leak off might not show much but getting injectors tested will give you a better idea.

Obv using sniff to start it will help as that’s ether, more easy to combust than diesel , and will help wang the engine over more to build pressure up. I’d be getting injectors tested as next port of call

Renault
That sounds to me like a bad injector. Leak off might not show much but getting injectors tested will give you a better idea.

Obv using sniff to start it will help as that’s ether, more easy to combust than diesel , and will help wang the engine over more to build pressure up. I’d be getting injectors tested as next port of call
Thanks yes I also had an idea that it might be a bad injector, I will have them tested next week

Renault

Hi Dr HMS thanks for the help, so i went back and found the following 1 I checked the injector coding and found all injectors in the wrong cylinders so i removed them all and fitted them in the correct place as per the ECU all but number 4 the number of one injector did not match any of the numbers on the ECU the cylinders 1,2 and 3 i cold match injectors, so currently injector number 4 does not match the ECU number, I tried the Delphi DS150 to change the coding but no luck it constantly says value fault and when entering to the function in the beginning it says inactive, now some of the mechanics here in South Africa tels me that the coding doesn’t matter is this true?
2 While switching the injectors I found number 1 injector tip was blown up on the side see attached picture what could cause this?
I then had it reconditioned and fitted it today, now the engine starts and runs good but still when in 2nd gear and going above 2500rpm then the knock starts again and become very loud in a short time.
So the question would be 1 could this be because of number 4 injector that the coding don’t match or 2 still another injector that could be faulty?

Attachments

• C87128B0-A968-4D11-9768-D7F6202A78CD.jpeg
    C87128B0-A968-4D11-9768-D7F6202A78CD.jpeg
    903.6 KB · Views: 106
  • AF7C6A8D-EAE3-4E6F-88C0-8DF4116B1CEE.jpeg
    AF7C6A8D-EAE3-4E6F-88C0-8DF4116B1CEE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • F72B0699-6051-4BF6-8D18-A52D044E4A30.jpeg
    F72B0699-6051-4BF6-8D18-A52D044E4A30.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  Clio 2.0 138hp
I had a 1.5 dci Mk3. It had an issue with injection system. Occasionally got the dash warning light flash up but went away. Few months later and it was really hard to start, kept getting worse and eventually wouldn't start without easy start.
I tried everything, replaced all 4 injectors, fuel pressure regulator, leak off rails.
I was stupidly hoping it wasn't the fuel pump because i knew the only outcome would be scrapping the car.

Turned out it was the pump after all, but it hadn't completely gone, so it was basically causing symptoms that are similar to those you get with bad injectors. Only when i did a leak off test and checked the samples did i find all the metal fillings from the pump.

So that might be what you are seeing, a failing pump that is still partially functional.
To answer your question about coding, i doubt it would make a huge difference really. The codes are mainly used to tell the ECU data about the injectors calibration in order to operate as efficiently as possible. So the engine should still run fine, just not at its best

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Hi Dr HMS thanks for the help, so i went back and found the following 1 I checked the injector coding and found all injectors in the wrong cylinders so i removed them all and fitted them in the correct place as per the ECU all but number 4 the number of one injector did not match any of the numbers on the ECU the cylinders 1,2 and 3 i cold match injectors, so currently injector number 4 does not match the ECU number, I tried the Delphi DS150 to change the coding but no luck it constantly says value fault and when entering to the function in the beginning it says inactive, now some of the mechanics here in South Africa tels me that the coding doesn’t matter is this true?
2 While switching the injectors I found number 1 injector tip was blown up on the side see attached picture what could cause this?
I then had it reconditioned and fitted it today, now the engine starts and runs good but still when in 2nd gear and going above 2500rpm then the knock starts again and become very loud in a short time.
So the question would be 1 could this be because of number 4 injector that the coding don’t match or 2 still another injector that could be faulty?
That nozzle has blown down to some sort of wear or extreme heat expansion , common enough on diesels, can sometimes cause hard starts or rough running due to the injection needle not Seating fully in the nozzle, and the nozzle holes not spraying the correct pattern.

yes the injectors can be fitted without coding , it’s a C2i code for fine running counters , just tells the ecu the calibration statistics, ran plenty of 1.5s without coding and they run fine.

as for the knocking , could still possibly have a duff injector . Get a video of it whilst driving under Load like you are

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Also do as the chap above said , get another decent fuel filter , and with your old one , cut it open without making to much mess and see if it’s full of metal filling from a failing pump

Renault
Ok i will do that

That nozzle has blown down to some sort of wear or extreme heat expansion , common enough on diesels, can sometimes cause hard starts or rough running due to the injection needle not Seating fully in the nozzle, and the nozzle holes not spraying the correct pattern.

yes the injectors can be fitted without coding , it’s a C2i code for fine running counters , just tells the ecu the calibration statistics, ran plenty of 1.5s without coding and they run fine.

as for the knocking , could still possibly have a duff injector . Get a video of it whilst driving under Load like you are
Hi Guys I ended up with a hole in number 4 piston and had to re do the whole engine I also did the turbo and injectors, the engine is running good but i have 2 concerns
1 I had a challenge setting the waste gate on the turbo, had 2 different fault codes one saying turbo performance is at maximum and the other turbo performance is at minimum level, I managed to set it in such a way that the light does not come on and it does not give the errors any more, the intake manifold pressure is 0.8 bar on idle an goes to 2 bar, now people tell me that is way to high but no one can tell me exactly what it should be can you maybe tell me?
Then when cold it cranks over about 5 to 6 times before starting and when hot only once or twice, now i have replaced the glow plug but could not get exactly the same ones and then got a replacement, I have tested the glow plug circuits and all is good and getting 12v to all for about 10-11 seconds. Now can the cold start probleem be because of the no OEM glow plugs on maybe the fact that the engine is new and still needs to be run in?