ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 16V engine problems

I’ve just picked up a 2004 1.6 16V Clio for cheap as a project/eventual track toy and there are a couple of problems I’ve come across.

First of all, the fuel gauge is faulty. It blinks between full and empty and if I use the onboard fault finder it gives me the code J CO which appears to be a fuel gauge fault. I’ve replaced the fuel pump but this hasn’t solved the problem. I’ve also reset the dashboard and checked the fuel pump relay/fuse. Any ideas where the fault could be? Can I test the wires on the fuel pump plug somehow?

The second problem is that the car has a very rough idle. Sometimes it’ll idle between 1,000 and 1,500RPM and sometimes it revs at no more than 250RPM. If you nudge the throttle, it’ll drop down to around 200RPM before bouncing up in acceleration. On top of this, the brake pedal is very short and very stiff. Could this be a vacuum leak somewhere, and how could I find this? I’m planning to take apart the intake, clean it and reassemble it, replacing the gaskets as I do. Are there any vacuum lines that should be replaced as well?

Hopefully once I’ve solved these two stumping problems I can make some more progress with the project!

Cheers