ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 16v starter motor issue?

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Hi. Had an issue on starting my clio yesterday after 10 minutes of being home from driving and went to start it and it just clicked once when I turned the ignition. So gave it a bump start All was good driving about the town and drove to the in laws, probably an hour all in then home again. Suspecting a dodgy starter motor I set about looking for it this morning but can't find it. I think it's hidden behind the engine block somewhere. So went too drive to a mates too get my axle stands back (after a long loan) 😂 too see if I could get better acess.got about half way and I lost power steering, no Speedo, misfiring, abs,service,airbag and stop lights all showing and a burning smell when you open the bonnet. Basically is it just a starter motor issue or I there some other underlying problem? Thanks

Sorry for rambling on

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
New alternator last month. Not sure on battery but seems too be power there. Can drive it for about 10-15 mins from a cold start then it does All what I said

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Battery will have dropped a cell if the alternator was brand new

If you can get it running check to see what the voltage is at the alternator and at the battery. Might even be a case that your charge cable has worked loose if youve recently had work done

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
New alternator last month. Not sure on battery but seems too be power there. Can drive it for about 10-15 mins from a cold start then it does All what I said
It's 100% power related as that's the systems just shutting down 1 by 1.

When you say the alternator was brand new where did you get it? Was it branded or a cheapo?

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Got it done at a garage at the yard I work from. Did cost about £250 so guess it wasnt A cheap one. Car is now about 10 miles from home so need too work a way out too get it back. Think I'll change the starter as that's where the problem started and see what happens from there.

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Why do I need a new battery if the alternator was replaced not long ago or is that because you know it won't be the alternator

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Because if the battery is shagged then that will have been your issue mate. My old dCi died on the M62 because the battery all of a sudden decided to die, dash lit up like a Christmas tree and no amount of charging it brought it back to life

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Because if the battery is shagged then that will have been your issue mate. My old dCi died on the M62 because the battery all of a sudden decided to die, dash lit up like a Christmas tree and no amount of charging it brought it back to life
Would it die all of a sudden though it was fine in the morning then a bit lAter it wouldn't start but did run and all electrics fine. Windows etc. Think I'll do a new battery for the sake of it, as when you drive it now the wipers wipe really slow

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I drove from my mums house, got 30 miles down the M62 and it just went all of a sudden

Stick your battery on a tester, charge it and then stick it on a tester again

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Don't have or know anyone with one so just may as well put the money into a new battery think it's around 4-5 years old anyway

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Why was the alternator changed recently? it will 100% be the battery either going flat or dying so it can only really be a fucked battery or the alternator not charging it.

in my experience you get, in this order:
ABS/ESP/Serv light on
Stereo goes off
speedo cuts out
power steering dies
lights dim
missfire starts
car stops

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Had a guy check the battery but it is only just under what it should be and the one click it makes when you turn it over is definitely in the location of the starter motor so we're 90% sure. When I get a chance I'm going too try and get access too starter and give it tap with a hammer and if it starts ill go and get a new one from euro car parts

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Mate, all your electrical systems shut down as they do when their is a power issue

The starter clicks, as they do when there is a power issue.

You had to bump start it as you do when you have a power issue.

What is the voltage when it's running? It should be 14v. If it's not, check the alternator.

Run an earth strap from the negative terminal of the battery to an unpainted bit of the body to rul out the earth strap failing

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
My mate said it wasnt far under what it should be and we didn't even get it running as it was getting late. I will try what you said about earth strap when I get there first thing Saturday morning