ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

106 GTi emissions. MOT fail.

330i. E30 Touring.
Right, I know it's not a clio, but there are some genius' on here, and I'm hoping one of them will help me out..

My 16v XSi went failed it's MOT today on emissions. It's got Kent PT51 cams on a standard map incase that makes any difference.

Fast idle:
CO 0.31% (0.3 is a pass) - Fail.
HC 280ppm vol. (200 is a pass) - Fail.

2nd fast idle test:

CO 0.5%.- Fail
HC 123ppm. Pass.

Natural idle test:

0.87%. (0.5% is a pass).

Has anyone got any ideas on what could cause these results?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Lambda im betting.

I just had a 1.1 fail on exactly the same. And a 1.4 Saxo. And a 2.0 Xsara... Fcuking french shite! lol.

330i. E30 Touring.
The lambda's not that old, from what I can see..

For the sake of a few quid, it might be worth swapping, though.

M

mini-valver

A lot of people throw cheap aftermarket CAT's on 106's and Saxo's because the standard ones dont last long at all. Try and see if yours is non-gen, if it is, i'd put money on it being that. they last about 1 MOT, lol.

You'll need the the map looking at for sure though.

330i. E30 Touring.
How do I know if the cat i'm using is aftermarket?

I might get it mapped, but it's not cheap to get a decent one! I'm still not sure I'm keeping them, either!

M

mini-valver

Aftermarket are just blank usually, no stamps or anything. Did you take it for a thrash between the fast idle tests?

330i. E30 Touring.
Nope, I left it with them.

One guy on RR said I should take it for a blast, or become pals with the tester..

330i. E30 Touring.
Think I need to find a friendly tester then.

There could be a million and one things that take it too high.

Make sure the car's toasty hot when you take it in lol

I've heard that sticking Redex in the tank before you go will also help, but I've only heard that and can't back it up with any evidence.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I had the same cams in my GTi and it overfuelled like a b**ch until it was re-mapped. The map / cam combination will definitely have something to do with the problem, but might not be the only cause.
As said, the CAT could be knackered or just not hot enough.

330i. E30 Touring.
Nightmare, but if needs must, I can take the cams out to MOT and probably sell from there..

Think I'll try all the things suggested before that, though! ):