ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v rocker gaskets

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

no its an easy job.you only need a 10m socket/ratchet etc. i am assuming its a valver/williams though.

2005 Nissan Navara

on wot engine??

yeah, on a valver just take off the spark plug carrier and undo the 10mm bolts.

piece-a-piss!!!

Easy but time consuming all the same.

Take off the plastic bit that holds the oil plug, then take out the outer bolts.

Then the inner bolts.

Diconnect the two pipes at the front and lift off.

Pull the old gasket away, chuck it,and clean all the metal edges up both sides.

Inside the rocker cover theres some more bolts and another metal thing with its own gasket, take this off and clean it.

Clean the whole cover in gunk, put the metal bit back.

Then smear a thin layer of engine oil over the gasket to seal it before putting it in place and bolt everything back up, not overly tight though!

Took me 3 hours or so.

Gasket was about £6 from french german and swedish.

dont forget to clean the sparks and the tunnels leading to them, I cleaned the tunnels using a extension bar wrapped in a cloth

yep 3 hours, im no mechanic.

I did a thorough job and stopped for a sandwich inbetween!

If you clean everything properly, time you have allowed it all to dry and wotnot it all ads up.

So how long does it take you stan?

if u suspect a leak just try tightening the bolts down first before goin to the effort of a new gasket as they have a habit of coming undone by themselves...and i mean finger-loose, literally.

2005 Nissan Navara

5mins 2 get it off, 5mins in parts washer, 10min cleaning/drying ready 4 re-assembly, 5 min 2 re-assemble.

in 3hrs the engine could be out and disassembled.

i wouldnt overtighten them tho, they can be prone to shearing. about 5N.m is about right

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by rasp on 03 February 2004

yep 3 hours, im no mechanic.

I did a thorough job and stopped for a sandwich inbetween!

If you clean everything properly, time you have allowed it all to dry and wotnot it all ads up.

So how long does it take you stan?

how big was your sandwich;)

its not hard, just getting the gasket lined up is the worst bit... a smearing of oil will help it stick.

Half hour maybe a hour if you take your time....

how much do you charge a hour then stan, sounds like your a cheap labour source if your that quick ;)

2005 Nissan Navara

£5 for a hand job, £15 for a BJ, £35 all in!!

BTW my timing adds up 2 25 min, so say half an hour.

"half hour maybe an hour if u take your time...." see wot im sayin???!!!

i was referiing to your engine and stripped times.... i will be wanting my engine out soon.

For FS dont go to renault for the gasket either, any motor factors does them at most about £9, should be less than that as rasp said.

stan please come and take my engine out, fit new cam belt ,clutch,water pump and do some headwork.

What do you reckon 5 hours?

£150 plus parts?

Please bring your parts washer too!

Do you do bodywork as well?