ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17 inch wheels

clio 172 FF
I've got a 172 with 17 inch wheels and when someone is sat in the back and I go over a slight bump it sounds like it's grating on something. Is this normal?

Thanks

vw r32
what size are your tyres? i had 205/45/17 at 1st they scrapped with people in the back, i got told to put some 205/40/17 on not had problem since

Breaking A 172 Replica
http://www.alloyguide.co.uk/

Click on the link at the top to get an explanation.

Basically if the offset is too large (e.g. 50 as opposed to 35) the wheel will sit too far in the arch making the cars track too narrow.

If the offset is small (e.g. 5 or even negative) the cars track will look massive.

It is possible you are experiencing either of these two scenarios. If the offset is to large you can get spacers (metal discs that sit between the hub and the alloy and effectively widen track and reduce offset size.

Sam

Breaking A 172 Replica
Just go and have a look at the tyres even if it is the offset.

On 205/40/17 tyres the cars speedo will be under-reading speeds by 2.5%. If you are on 205/45/17 then it will be doing so by considerably more and therefore you are not making best use of your gearing, making acceleration slower.

Sam