ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Alarm - Cheaper to replace with OE or go aftermarket?

A slow one :-(
Sorry for the rant...

Well my local renault dealership were alot of use today.

Booked my 172 in to have my alarm sorted out... it was pretty much fucked and it didn't take Einstein to work out that it'd probably need replacing.

Dropped it in last night to be looked at today. I had described to them over the phone what was happening on Monday.

Now, if you'd booked a car in to have an alarm looked at you'd guess that they'd actually ensure that someone who knew something about them would be able to look at it!

Hmm well after an early start and spending 10 quid on public transport (Train, Metro, then Bus) I got a message about 5pm to say that my car was ready to be picked up.

Go in to pick it up and get told they'd not done anything on it! The "main guy" who knows most about the alarms is on a course and was told that the techie thought that it was the entire unit that needed replacing! What a waste of pissing time it was getting it booked in... I guess I should be thankful they didn't try and rip me out of any money but I'd of rather been told that it couldn't of been looked at until next week and actually have it fixed! Its a right f**king farse for me getting to work by public transport.

Now, I'm going to take it to my best mates Dads Renault dealership (knew I should of done to start with) and get a quote from them, but also get a quote for an aftermarket alarm.

Any ideas which is going to be most pricey? When I had my Cat 2-->1 upgrade it cost me about 200 quid for a Cobra job.

I'm not arsed about having top of the range all bells ringing, lights flashing alarm... just one that works!

£200 will get another good system fitted.

But find out why if you can stock is broken has it just got wet?

I dont know why people bother with an alarm at all the car has locks an immobiliser and steering lock its not needed in my opinion. People just ignore them anyway

Clio 1.4 16v
i spent £340 on my viper alarm from "clifford alarm" and they fitted it on my drive.. just so you get a price idea

I dont know why people bother with an alarm at all the car has locks an immobiliser and steering lock its not needed in my opinion. People just ignore them anyway

Becausewithout one few insurance compnaies in the Uk will ever thing about covering you hence why all Uk spec cars have to have full cat 1 alarms.

How often do you hear of modern cars being stolen these days? I think a professional would struggle to disable the immobiliser. Im sure the alarm could be bypassed much easier.

£200 will get another good system fitted.

But find out why if you can stock is broken has it just got wet?

Cheers Edde, the weekend when it was going a bit bonkers it was really wet.

Will see if its working this weekend... fingers crossed the dryer weather may of sorted it. A mate of mine suggested checking an earth under the steering wheel? Is this BS?

One thing after another with the clio atm... don't know whether to just cut my losses and get rid or not!

Cheers for the price guidance Matt... don't think I really want to spend that much. Just want one that works and doesn't go off every 2 minutes!

sorry you get sarky dickheads allover the place :rasp: (me) lol. Seriously though id rather spend 200 quid getting my wheels refurbed or something than waste it on an alarm just pull the fuse instead. But anyway good luck!!

sorry you get sarky dickheads allover the place :rasp: (me) lol. Seriously though id rather spend 200 quid getting my wheels refurbed or something than waste it on an alarm just pull the fuse instead. But anyway good luck!!

lol np, tbh I just want it sorting, planning on selling it once the winter is out the way so it really needs to be in full working order... also not too keen on the idea that my insurance is probably not valid if it gets broken into. Not that I'd claim, just don't want to run the risk. Where is the fuse for the alarm? Couldn't find it the other night!

I'd much rather spend 200 quid on getting my wheels sorted as well!

the fuse is either behind the dashboard (passenger side) or under the scuttle panel just below your wipers model dependant. There was a thread about it somewhere if you can dig that up itl tell you exact

Seriously though id rather spend 200 quid getting my wheels refurbed or something than waste it on an alarm just pull the fuse instead. But anyway good luck!!

Your insurance is only valid if the alarm works pulling the fuse invalidates insurance so they might not pay out if its stolen or involved in any accident or just revalidate your insuracne anyway.