ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 buying advice

want to buy a 172 and being put off slightly by advice given to me. i want to buy an 03, 53 plate 172 (pref cup) and people are telling me not to buy one of that age cos there is going to be something wrong with it, i mean why would you buy a car an flog it a year later an lose a couple of grand? i know there will be alot of geniune sales but how do you recognise a decent one from a sh*t one? what are the problems with 172s mechanically wise? engine man problems etc etc. should i buy one 3yrs old?

cheers Jamie

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

First of all I wouldnt bo too worried about buying a year old car. Many people on here got rid of their 172 after about a year of ownership. In some instances its not actually as bad fanancially as some people make out to offload a nearly new car. Depends on the finance package that it was bought under etc...

Depending on mileage, check that all appropriate services have been carried out. Mechanically the 172 engine is pretty sound. There are a couple of fairly common faults such as a rattle from the exhaust at 4000 revs and a slight knocking noise from the front suspension to look out for.

A car of that age should be in excellent condition throughout. There are plenty to choose from so, if it looks dodgy in any way then walk away.

Some people buy Renault so cheap as they work for Renault that they sell them after a year for more than they paid and get a new one so they have a free car as such all the time no bills to pay.

Just cheak for tyre wear how the clucth is and for stone chips or crash damge thats about all you can spot realy.