ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cams

Hi there people, just wandering if you would be able to give me some advice. I would like to know who has cams in their 172

What type
How much
Where to get them fitted
Do they make a big differnece (are they worth it)!

My guess is the std ones are good for 190-200bhp with suitable inlet mods and management system.

This theory is based on the vauxhall 1600 16v and 2000xe engines giving 160bhp and 190 bhp respectively on just TBs and management, the engines were untouched internally.

If you fitted cams it would need remapping anywho.

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Quote: Originally posted by Scott + Zo on 18 July 2005

Hi there people, just wandering if you would be able to give me some advice. I would like to know who has cams in their 172

What type
How much
Where to get them fitted
Do they make a big differnece (are they worth it)!
I have Piper cams fitted to my 182 (same engine as 172), they cost about £270 odd quid but fitting is about 8-10hrs if i remember correctly... around £700ish all in i think. I had mine fitted at GDI (based near Cambridge) along with other modifications including an SMT6 piggy back ECU which allows the necessary mapping. The difference overall is worthwhile but cams alone wont provide large gains, the engine needs to have breathing mods first of all (induction, exhaust, inlet manifold matching etc) before you really start to consider cams.

What modifications have you carried out already?

The gains from cams are only realy noticed hugly with other intake work the manifold needs matching as well.

You wont get 190~200 though on stock cams unless you run a T/B system or an absolutly fortune in other bits.

Yes, cams are the final step yo should make if continuing to run the OE inlet manifold. Extensive flow development must be done on BOTH parts of the manifold to realise the potential of the engine. Itll get you close to 200, but cams are needed to push it over that.

The std cams are good for 200bhp+, but not running the OE style inlet manifold.

cheers guys, I have an exhaust and de-cat at the mo, i also have a viper pipercross induction kit, however getting the air into the throttle body as smoothly and with as little bends in the pipe is, well lets face it impossible unless you take out your head light or drill a big 80 mill hole in the bonnet of your car. I will take all these things into consideration thanx.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Scott + Zo on 19 July 2005

cheers guys, I have an exhaust and de-cat at the mo, i also have a viper pipercross induction kit, however getting the air into the throttle body as smoothly and with as little bends in the pipe is, well lets face it impossible unless you take out your head light or drill a big 80 mill hole in the bonnet of your car. I will take all these things into consideration thanx.

actually youd be surprised, new dongle coming to a clio near you soon

Quote: Originally posted by Scott + Zo on 19 July 2005

dont worry about the bend, it doesnt really affect things.