ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Conversion Wiring - Help Please

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
I have just dropped a 172 lump into a Mk1 16v shell?
Well when I say I, I mean I have a local mechanic doing it. He has got the engine, gearbox, running gear and radiator in. It’s just the wiring that is causing the problem!!
Does anyone have any diagrams/instructions of what he needs to be doing? I ask this because we're stuck!
A local auto electrician said that you cannot match up the 172 engine wiring loom with the 16v car loom? Which I said was rubbish because it’s been done on here? Is this the case and cananyone help? Or do you know someone on Cliosport.net that can help?
Your comments/help would be much appreciated.

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
Its a pain.
Im doing at the moment. the rev counter is causing the biggest ball ache for us at the moment.

What have you done about the immobiliser?

We thought we could wire everything up then get the ecu decoded?

Can I ask what you have done mate?

How much of the wiring have you manged to do or are have you just started the wiring?

as it stands at the moment ive got the wiring in, and ive got:-
fuel pump running
temp guage working
all the ignition lives on,

Ive got it up enough to be able to run the engine.
yes you have to get it wired in then get it decoded. or you can go a bit long winded and put the 172 interior loom in with the uch and decoder ring too.

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
as it stands at the moment ive got the wiring in, and ive got:-
fuel pump running
temp guage working
all the ignition lives on,

Ive got it up enough to be able to run the engine.
yes you have to get it wired in then get it decoded. or you can go a bit long winded and put the 172 interior loom in with the uch and decoder ring too.

The auto electrician my mechnic spoke to said that the 172 ecu is a pulsing system(I'm not a mechnic so term might be wrong) where as the 1.8 loom is'nt. Is this the case? How did you get round this?

Is there anyway you could send me a rough guide of what you have done so far so i can pass it onto my mechnic to prove this conversion can be done? It would be a great help as we are now at a stand still beacause my mechnic says its not possible.

i have no diagrams im afraid, a few others on here may.

you basically need ll the 4mm yellow wires, they are ign live, and the white 5mm wire, thats the starter.

as for they're terms the only thing i can think of that he means is that its sequential injection rather than batch like the valver, which has nothing to do with the internal loom.

Clio 172 mk2
It is the auto electricians way of saying "go away and leave me alone, I can't be @rsed with this job, it is more hassle than it is worth!";)

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
i have no diagrams im afraid, a few others on here may.

you basically need ll the 4mm yellow wires, they are ign live, and the white 5mm wire, thats the starter.

as for they're terms the only thing i can think of that he means is that its sequential injection rather than batch like the valver, which has nothing to do with the internal loom.

Cheers mate. So your confident that the 172 engine loom can be matched up to the 1.8 car loom no probs?

If anyone on here has got any sort of info on wiring up the 172 lump it would be greatly appreciated.

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
Could the two people on here that have their 172 Mk1 Clios running please give me some advice on getting this car running.
Thanks.

Lionel Richie
i'd put the 172 dash loom in with the UCH, clocks, decoder ring etc, then cut and shut the rear end of the car loom to run the tail lights etc

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
i'd put the 172 dash loom in with the UCH, clocks, decoder ring etc, then cut and shut the rear end of the car loom to run the tail lights etc

My engine is from a 2000 model Sport. I take it i dont have the UCH? This makes things earier doe'nt it? Would the car loom have to be from the same shell as the engine came from?

Thanks for your comments.

Lionel Richie
no idea if it does or doesn't have a UCH, it would be miles easier if you had everything off the donor car

ecu
looms
key
decoder ring
uch

etc

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc
just get ur ecu decoded 80 pound wire up starter /ignition live /fuel pump lived to ecu / pin 69 i think if its sirius 34 /rewire ur fan if it had aircon/ connect up engine loom plugs etc /put the battery terminal on and away u go / barp barp

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
just get ur ecu decoded 80 pound wire up starter /ignition live /fuel pump lived to ecu / pin 69 i think if its sirius 34 /rewire ur fan if it had aircon/ connect up engine loom plugs etc /put the battery terminal on and away u go / barp barp

Cheers for that chap. I dont mean to be thick!! But what does sirius 34 mean? I'll be passing this onto my mechanic so he can get cracking with it. I'll let you know how we get on.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
  Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Wish we could help but it really was pretty straight forward once we'd got our head around what was going on. Essentially the Ecu and engine loom do everything to do with running by itself, as Wayne and Danlp says it's only a case of matching up the fuel pump, ignition and starter feeds on in the multi plug on the near side front and the ECU does the rest once decoded. then it's just a case of wiring up the little stuff, oil light fan etc.

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc
yeah i does have uch but this is the ecu to take manual throttle so u dont send of a fly by wire ecu like i did to get decoded and remaped exspensive mistake lol

Evo VIII, Clio 16v
Thought I'd give an update on our progress. Engine is now turning over and all electrics are working fully. Just need to get the ecu decoded and it should start. I cant wait to get this thing on the road, should be much more fun than my sport to drive.
Thanks for help and comments folks. I'll post up pictures when its all finished. I've still to do some bits 'n' bobs to the body work.