ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup belt noise

Hi I was driving home earlier and noticed a loud tapping noise coming from the engine (increasing the revs made the tapping noise a lot louder).

I stopped the car straight away and looked under the bonnet to see feint pieces of thread on top of the engine. I immediately looked at the aux belt and noticed it was catching on one side of the pulley and was therefore being slowly stripped apart :-0

I understand it’s a quick and easy job to replace the aux belt on a 172 cup but the noise was the concerning thing. Also can someone take a look at the attached photo as the pulley looks as though it may be faulty seen as there is no groove for the belt to run on?

Attachments

• C1527283-FAA0-4C4A-837A-5E4717581E90.jpeg
    C1527283-FAA0-4C4A-837A-5E4717581E90.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 61
are you talking about the waterpump pulley?

Ah I probably am as I don’t know what I’m looking at. It’s the pulley at the rear of the photo where the barcode is on the belt. It looks like the belt could just skip straight off as there are no grooves. Does the belt run both the water pump and alternator on a cup?

dan's cast offs.
ah, that's the crank pulley, it is grooved but as the belt is on it you can't see them. the smooth pulley is the waterpump pulley, the belt comes off the crank pulley and then goes under this one so is smooth as it's driven by the back of the belt.

Oh I see, cheers mate. So if the aux belt needs changing, would you recommend the water pump gets done at the same time? The timing belt was only done a few months ago.