ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup exhaust woes

scruffydubber

ClioSport Club Member
  RS CUP
Hi. I have some exhaust questions I could do with some advice on.
I have built my own 172 cup exhaust, I wanted it to be free flowing, low budget, and quiet. It's 2.5" and two boxes. The mid box is as long as the tunnel to try and keep the noise down. I tig welded it, made some mounts up and was pretty chuffed with the results.

That was until I drove it, it's loud, very loud and just drones and it's still currently got the cat on.

So I'm thinking of going to a stock exhaust. When does the stock exhaust become a power restriction? I'm planning breathing mods, 182 manifold and maybe cams in the future.
Or would I be better trying to reduce the noise on the 2.5" system. Maybe a noise killer baffle insert?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A good quality second hand system is about £150-200.

Surely it's not worth the grief making your own??

scruffydubber

ClioSport Club Member
  RS CUP
Show me some?
All the ones I have found have been very small bore longlife crap. Or single box systems. Neither meet my requirements.
I already had half the parts. So it cost considerable less then a 2nd hand one.
For me part of the fun is doing these things yourself.