ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup gearbox oil renewal

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Hi guys,

I have a bit of a crunch on my 3rd gear. Having flushed a little oil out the box with new oil, it is really black to coca-cola coloured. How old is the oil likely to be? I was tempted to drop the oil out, add an anti-friction additive and new 75/80 GL4 oil and see how that was before looking at replacement or rebuilding the gearbox itself. Is it worth a try?

330i. E30 Touring.
Swapping the oil won't fix your crunch on these boxes, but it won't hurt to if the old stuff is knackered. Only £30 or so, so not a bank breaker.

I've recently changed my box oil as it was crunching into 3rd and its made a difference. The crunch is still there but has reduced substantially, before I'd need to wait a good second before changing up so it wouldn't crunch but now i only need to wait a fraction. My oil was also coke coloured.

As above worth a try, i used Elf NFJ by the way.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
worked a treat on my 330ci. 1st and second were a right pig - amazing how much better it is