ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup hazards/UCH problem

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hello all,

I 've got an on-going hazard light problem and wonder if you could check I'm not missing anything...

This first happened a couple of months ago on a horribly wet day. The hazards came on for a few seconds and then went off. The same thing happened a few more times that day, but only ever a few flashes before they'd start behaving themselves again. The problem then went away.

I did a bit of reading and found this thread...

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/hazards-wont-stop-flashing.476708/

... and putting two and two together concluded it was probably the switch or an alarm problem; they don't like getting wet and send an dodgy signal to the hazards. But as everything seemed to be working again I didn't bother doing anything at the time.

Then two or three weeks ago I get a knock on the door late one night. It's the kid from the house opposite, and once he'd got over the shock of my pyjamas he told me that the Clio's hazards were going. Armed with my knowledge from the thread above, I grabbed some tools and and took the dash panel off...
  • Removing the hazard switch didn't stop the lights.
  • Cutting the black/white wire from the hazard switch to the alarm didn't stop the lights.
I pulled the fuse for the hazards and went back to bed.

So having crossed the easy options from the list I concluded this must be a UCH issue, so pulled it out and sent it off to BBA Reman for their TLC. It arrived back last Friday, and I reinstalled on Saturday. Everything seemed to work normally again*. Job done.

The other-half and I went out after work last night so didn't get home until about 11am. We pulled onto the drive to find the Clio flashing it's hazards at us, but this time doing three quick/dim flashes followed by a few seconds pause, then three quick/dim flashes and so-on. Bugger.

I grabbed the key and went to investigate. I didn't need the key because it was already unlocked (I definitely left it locked). The car's battery was pretty much flat. I hooked up a spare battery with some jump leads, and everything seemed normal again - apart from the hazards which wouldn't switch off. I pulled the fuse for the hazards, locked the doors with the spare battery connected, then disconnected both batteries and went to bed.

Before I phone BBA Reman and ask for their help again, is there anything else this could be?

The alarm is still disconnected.

*The only thing that didn't quite seem right after I'd refitted the UCH was the light on the central locking switch of the dash, which seemed to work differently to how I remembered (it was on all the time unless the headlights were on). As I can't usually remember what I had for breakfast I put this down to my bad memory, but in hindsight I guess that suggested there might've been something a bit weird about the repaired UCH.

Should've re-mortgaged the house and gone straight to Renault...

Cheers, Rob.