ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Headlight upgrade

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
The headlights on my 172 Cup are shockingly bad, might as well drive round with my eyes shut at night, would make zero difference. I need to sort something out, I was going to just get a set of Xenons from a 172/182 but I'm not sure about all the carry on with MOTs and washers and self levelers etc. I guess the alternative would be a HID kit, is this something that would work on the Cup?

Can anyone recommend one or the other or neither or anything, I would quite like to be able to see where I'm going in the dark!

Cheers

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I've got a 182 with Xenons, I've removed the washers and the self leveller is broken on the rear beam, never had any problems with the MOT.

HID's you couldn't put in the standard cup Housing as it's illegal and you'll end up blinding everyone on the road.

Have you tried Osram Nightbreakers? They're so much better than normal bulbs.

Are the headlight lenses clean & clear ? If they're manky you'll have to restore them. That as well as upgrading the bulbs will help.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Get some sport xenons. Excellent upgrade and so much better than the Cup lights(although I prefer them on the track car for damage limitation!). Easy to fit, no need for headlight washers and be fine for mot time.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Ah, that's HIDs out then, Maybe upgraded bulbs would be a better option, I'll have a look at the Osram Nightbreakers.

I had cleaned them up a while back as they were all cloudy, they looked better, cant say it did much for brightness though.

The Xenons do look way better then the standard lights as well, that being the other reason I wanted to swap them over

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I have a bit of a xenon obsession too, just really like the way they light up. A lot more expensive cars have them too. All the BMW's I looked at in the past had to had the light pack fitted with xenons or I just disregarded it!!!

Modern stuff is all led now, but xenons are cool and a worthy upgrade imo. They are legal too and don't blind anyone, which is always good.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
I'll might try and see if I can grab a set if upgraded bulbs don't give me the desired result

Whats people recommendations on xenon bulbs? I feel mine are dim, I drive with the fogs on sometimes when I cant have the mains, they're not blue or led btw ?

Is it normal that sometimes other peoples car will completely take away all of your vision? Its not their mains for sure but you have to slow down a bit cause you cant see more than a couple metres in front of you.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
I've got some h7 osram night breakers for sale and I've also got osram d2s xenarc nightbreakers too

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
My xenons don't seem very bright sometimes. Driving under LED street lamps it looks like I've not got my headlamps on at all, but then on a dark mortorway or B road all alone they are more than bright enough. Changing the temp of the bulb just changes the colour output not the brightness, correct?

@Oddesy @Craig may be able to help you with some better bulbs. https://www.cliosport.net/threads/car-bulbs-of-all-kinds.822067/

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
The stock Xenon bulbs are pretty s**t, I'd say there's not much difference between them and a set of halogen nightbreakers personally.