ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup jumping out of 3rd gear???

saxo vts
hi any help please, when i accelerate in third gear the car is jumping out ov gear and goin to nutural! anyone else had a problem like this? any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Black 172
From what I've read on here about this sort of issue its to do with gearbox oil or gearbox on its way out!
Don't hold me to it though because I'm probably very wrong!

Focus ST170
hey mate, try changing the gearbox oil that may help but if its continually doing then it may be new gearbox time.. how many miles fella?

JJS

Focus ST170
Good call on the mounts DrRollo! tho i would have thought they would have to be very worn to allow that amount of travel?

JJS

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
The gearbox mount could be buggered? Sold my old 172 with it broke, i didn't know till he told me after lol.

Focus ST170
Always best to find stuff like that out when its gone haha we've been busy with the gearbox oil at JMS recently and its deffo worth changing the oil can make the box feel good again, but as said if it's jumping out then either mounts or gearbox/sync is route of the problem.. try realigning the mounts first. 'tis the cheapest place to start.

saxo vts
cheers lads. i have taken the mount of tonight, the one that is underneath the car, and it looks to be ok. its kicking out of 3rd gear quiet harshly so thinking along the lines of the box being nakerd! thanks for the help.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
The gearbox mount is under the battery, the one under the car is the dogbone.

Clio 172 Cup , 200SX S13
My box was doing this exact thing shortly before it blew - about two weeks after I got the car...a nice little fault that I managed not to spot on the test drive.

I would recommend you drain and refill your gearbox oil ASAP , as mine was very low on oil when it went.

Clio 172 cup
Mine has just started to jump out of 1st and 3rd today, been underneath it and the linkage looks and sounds really loose, would this be the problem???

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Mine has just started to jump out of 1st and 3rd today, been underneath it and the linkage looks and sounds really loose, would this be the problem???
High revs in second gear with your hand resting on the gearstick. Lift off and if you feel movement in the stick then its most likely the dog bone mount.

Clio 172 cup
Thanks very much, I'll check that out!! The linkage sounds very loose, rattling and covered in oil (dripping in it) would this be a factor??

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Thanks very much, I'll check that out!! The linkage sounds very loose, rattling and covered in oil (dripping in it) would this be a factor??
Tbh mate, apart from the mounts themselves, I am unsure of the rest of the selector components.

I am sure someone will be along and can answer your questions.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As above, check the gearbox and rear engine mounts followed by the gear selector first. They are very easy checks to do yourself and best of all they are free.

Clio 172 cup
Gear box knackered, the oil looked like a glitter pen..... So while I'm replacing the box, I'm replacing the clutch and both driveshafts...... Any recommendations???