ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cylinder Head blown!!! crap!!!

172 Flamer
Car started making a horrible noise last night & lost most of power.

RAC man came out & says that one of the spark plugs had blown off & wrecked the threads of the cylinder head. Can't screw a new plug in.

He advised me to get it heli-coiled, or I will need a new cylinder head (expensive! £1000+ ???)

Any thought or idea's on how I can keep costs down & can you recommend any good garages / parts places to go to? Any suggestions will be welcome please! (within reason!)

Ta

any competant engineering company should be able to helicoil it for you, at minimal cost.

Get your yellow pages out.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
BigBarry172 said:
Car started making a horrible noise last night & lost most of power.

RAC man came out & says that one of the spark plugs had blown off & wrecked the threads of the cylinder head. Can't screw a new plug in.

He advised me to get it heli-coiled, or I will need a new cylinder head (expensive! £1000+ ???)

Any thought or idea's on how I can keep costs down & can you recommend any good garages / parts places to go to? Any suggestions will be welcome please! (within reason!)

Ta

The same thing happened to a friend of mine years ago, he had a VW Camper. Darn thing popped out as he was going up a hill, he was none to chuffed, he bodged it with plumbers tape to get him home. He didn't get it permanently fixed, went out and bought a Honda instead. lol

Audi TT 3.2 V6
all pretty much the same, some last longer than other but in terms of performance any of the major brands ngk, champion etc will be fine

Monaco Blue 172
BigBarry172 said:
Any advice on the best spark plugs to replace with? Or are they all pretty much the same?!?!!
some may have multiple contacts which promise better performance, in my experience tho its best to keep it simple. i tried a set which had 4 contacts on each and they ended up being changed out by an AA bloke for some single-contact ngk ones! i tend to stick to champion ;)

172 cup'd extreme
BigBarry172 said:
Any advice on the best spark plugs to replace with? Or are they all pretty much the same?!?!!

NGK PFR6E only £25 each from ren or £9 from your local factors

gt_gaz said:
what actually causes this though?
The spark plug comes loose then when its on the limit it blows out and damages the threads. One theory was its down to plugs not being fitted and torque properly.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
That sounds pants.

Is it a common thing in 172's? i cant afford that much money if mine blows!
Is it actually to do with drivin the car at hi revs? i gonna have to start drivin like a granny now!

PinkCat said:
That sounds pants.

Is it a common thing in 172's? i cant afford that much money if mine blows!
Is it actually to do with drivin the car at hi revs? i gonna have to start drivin like a granny now!
It happens when running at high rpm for a long time its not that common though athough it can happens.

80MPG BEEZA
why do people always say gonna drive like a granny or a woman? i normally go out in my car see some care flying past or zooming up the dual carraige way i go yea i'll av em as i go past i notice there's a girl inside and she's stuck behind a middle aged guy?