ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 does do 140mph

i managed to do 140mph in my 172 she was sat at 7500rpm...fely very stable..wish i had my digi cam to take pic of speedo

she was flying..HAVE IT

Yeah - but speedo will be out (unless you got that reading on an AP22 or something). Book is 137mph and if you look at Autocar tests, youll see that speedos on all cars overread by about 1-5mph even at 60 (so will be worse by 130+).

Car manufacturers build in that bit of error so that you dont go to them when youre booked for doing 35mph even though your speedo said you were doing 30mph.

sorry... but tell me something... how many km/h are 140mph??

225km/h?? strange.. here clios 172, with exaust, filter and chip can go to 250-255km/h.. but thei do not pass 7500rpm..

Maybe im confused.. aint 60mph=97km/h or 62mph=100km/h???

Tell me about it..

ICE'dberg MK2 172

If you havent had it chipped the rev limiter is set at 7250. Must have been a very long straight road.

Know someone who claimed they were doing 145 and the guy following said he was doing 135 so there is some correction needed for speedo errors.

But top marks for trying!!!!!

S2000

Paulo,

Thers no way a a clio would do 160MPH, with the mods you mentioned, youd be defying the laws of physics!!!!!

nope.. you still have the speedo percentage of error to have in count.. if its arround 8-10% at 250km/h or 160mph... the real velocity will be 225-230km/h or 141-144mph;).. but ive seen it.. on a straight road.. tecnomap program, a tube to eleminate cat, BMC filter, polished admission.. and 250-255km/h

But i still dont understand, why do you think that thats so hard?

I had a Renault Megane 2.0 150hp no tunning made, and on a straight road long enough (not a 10mile road:) it would reach 238-240, and then the ignition would cut the gasoline..

Ive got some curious fotos for you then.. a Civic Type-R with modifyed exaust, and filter passing the 260km/h mark going on a straight road and a reprogramed audi 130tdi guiving arround 250 on the climatronic(pointer260)going downhill:).. but thats on the velocimeter.. obvious youll have to discount the vm error percentage::)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

think forest172 had 144 on the speedo. Very very long straight downhill bypass near were we live!!

Id be very surprised if a filter/exhaust etc (certainly on a NA engine) would make even 1mph/kmph of difference.

Ive done 6k revs in my Astra Coupe :), 24.7Mph/1000 rpm = 148Mph :D. Had more to come but thought I better slow down.

Chun.

I got 130mph out of myn, cant remember the exact revs, 6k I think, or slightly more, but there was definately more left in her, I think 140 would of been reached if I hadnt run out of road...wonder how far the speedo is out, does anyone have Autocars tests for mk1 and mk2, they have very accurate speedo tests.

CTR EK9 turbo

i had 6500 rpm in fifth, so whatever that is..... about 143? darent look at that speed! that was with the boat pipes off.

hmmm, maybe early next year, Portugal is nice about end april / may...

might just do that dood !..;)

are you north or south ???.. we often go to the algarve in May.. (Lagos or Alvor)

Joe.

clio williams, Ph1 172

They should do 140 id have thought. Ive had 135mph out of my 16v. Guess that could be a bit less if the speedos out. A 172 should do that no problem if the engines run in would have thought. If books 137mph they usually do more.

Sorry to potentially disapoint U top enders.

Speedos will register about 1-3 MPH above real PLUS up to a 10% add on. No car will read slower than actual. There are Acts of Parliament that will ensure there is no way, and to make sure, the speedos are a long way out at any cars top speed, as any of them will register a %, not 1 or 2 etc. MPH

Mark

Ive done 237 km/h with my cliosport when slipstreaming a friend. Theres no way you can beat 225 km/h without some tricks... 237 km/h on my speedo. My friends Nissan 200SX s14 had 242 on his APEXI and 250 on his speedo whit me 2 meters behind :)

Blaze I looked at the speedo and the revs. 6k revs x 24.7 mph/1000rpm = 148Mph. And funny enough the speedo was spot on 148mph.

Chun.