ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 hesitating when accelarating

ibiza cupra
just started doing it this morning. was going down a road and the car felt like it just didnt want to go but when i slowed down to turn, when i accelarated to go into the road it was fine. there was no dash lights on or anything so i thought nothing of it then after work some 8 hrs later it did the same thing again and now the engine managment light has come on. it feels like it is being starved as even if i put my foot down it just wont go and the revs dont budge then all of a sudden it will just go. im assuming it is a sensor or somthing along those lines so i am getting it on a diognostics asap but was just woundering if any one has any ideas as to what it could be.
if it helps i went drag racing in it on the weekend at avon park and it was fine and also had it on a rolling road and the guy said that it was making book figures if not a bit more so for it to do this 2 days later has baffeld me.

ibiza cupra
spark plugs were changed about 6 months ago so i dont think it would be them but the lamba sensor would be worth a look

Clio Sport
Hi kevin.s
My clio does exactly the same thing and my engine management light is on although im not lucky enough to own a clio 172 :-( mine is just a 1.2 16v, when u find out what it is, will you let me know please? Good luck getting it fixed! :)

Last edited:
  ibiza cupra
will do bab. gona have a word with a chap whos got a diog and see about getting it on there on thurs if i can then ill let you know the outcome

clio 172
will do bab. gona have a word with a chap whos got a diog and see about getting it on there on thurs if i can then ill let you know the outcome
my 172 done this, it wouldnt revv above 5k changed plugs then went fine but it was used as a weekend car so it could of bin lack of use but gud luck

Tried the HT leads? Not sure if this has been mentioned but it's happened a few times on my 1.2 which led to spluttering and eventually the engine packing in. Sometimes too, if it's hesitating I turn the engine off and back on again and it's fine.

Clio 172 RS2
Sounds like a fueling problem to me.
(fly-by-wire throttle + ECU, will overrule your heavy right foot!)

Look at the various sensors, playing havoc when the engine is still cold.
Depriving it of fuel!

C

Cupster

Think it is some sort of protection system from a cold start, had two cups now and both did it until warmed up then fine.

ibiza cupra
mine still does it when warmed up.i drive 15 miles to work and it is still doing it as i pull up outside. i have left it a few days and got a lift to work but my lift aint in tomorrow so iv got to use it. hopfully it has fixed its self lol.