ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 ON A WILLY

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

id put my money on there being not a lot in it! everyone knows the williams engines are quick! i wouldnt say the 172 would sh1t on it, but it would, in most cases have the edge if both standard!

standard for standard;

172 will be slightly quicker staright-line (tho you do get bad ones),
172 grips more,
willy handles better,
but

willy is better on give-and-take roads (so probably faster depending where your driving),
tuned willys seem to have have the edge...perhaps more so than a 172 with equivalent mods

Make of that what you will!

[Edited by u33db on 13 September 2004 at 3:30pm]

172, Tiguan

What with the Williams being the best car in the world I suspect itd beat everything.

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

glad to see healthy biast opinions, but im sorry im biast to - the 172 has the edge :) everyday!

BUT the williams is a fantastic car!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

standard for standard the 172 would def be quicker (in most cases), but i wouldnt say it would sh1t on it hehe!

Both top cars!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Quote: Originally posted by FlamingMonkey on 13 September 2004

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 13 September 2004

What with the Williams being the best car in the world I suspect itd beat everything.
Thought that was the Cup :D

dont be daft, they are just the fastest cars on the planet! not the best!

general consensus is that the 172 is slightly faster in a straight line... not by much but faster. the willy doesnt look like a 1.2RL though ;)

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 13 September 2004

general consensus is that the 172 is slightly faster in a straight line... not by much but faster. the willy doesnt look like a 1.2RL though ;)
or a sporty micra lol

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

ah well you both wont have to look at it long as it will be to far in front for you to see ;)

Quote: Originally posted by PJVTS on 13 September 2004

ah well you both wont have to look at it long as it will be to far in front for you to see ;)
no point me racing 172s, can never tell if its a 1.2 or not, so ill just stick to Cups ;)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

And when it pulls away thats when your life collapses round your ears and you wonder what all the hype was surrounding the williams....

ian ;) lol

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Ive had a little straight line run with 2lives Willy 1...alright, mine is standard and 2lives is a little bit fettled with, but after 100 he left me for dust...

Remember, the Williams were made when the shell of the car had less safety features, so was a considerably lighter shell, so the extra 20-ish bhp doesnt fully cover everything, as there is the extra weight involved.

I love the Williams and the cups, but for the age of the Williams, they are brilliant cars.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

like i said i drove 400 miles with my mates 172 yesterday, soon as we hit 2nd gear it was all over! mines more fettled than his but he has a few mods on it.

top end not a great deal though! unless its cos i hit limiter at just over 130! ;)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Well I would bet on a 172 in a straight line sprint and a williams round twisty/b roads...every car is different however and you get slow/fast uns with each car!

The 172 will outrun the williams top end, basically upto 100mph theres not a lot in it... then the williams will lag a little as it hits 5th gear so i wud suspect the 172 will gain a little but the williams will soon bring it back as it hits the power band before hitting the limiter at approx 135mph... the 172 will get to approx 140+mph however!

Handling wise the williams would make great distance on the 172 around slow twisty roads due to its fantastic low down torque and handling, i wouldnt have thought around long fast roads it would have as much of an impact...

Ive owned both and that was my general oppinion, and both were gently tuned with zorst n filters ;)

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

ive owned both and would say that a standard 172 will deffo be faster in a straight line then the williams without a doubt!!

but the williams does hug corners superbly!!

would never swap my 172 back for a williams now though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Clio Sport 172

I must agree, 172s are quicker on the straight. Williams stick to the road obviously much better, so quicker on corners. However, its a very rare occation when i get to drive boyfreinds williams!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

The quick willys would have no problem dispatching a 17poo thats for sure!

*runs and hides*