ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 problem only just bought it

clio
hi there i have just bought a 172 2000 plate and i love it but when i give it some stick mainley in 1st and 2nd i get a like flappy noise from the exsaust its not a hole as i have checked.could it be the cat.i have a standard exsuhst.i only get it when iam giving it some.my car has done 55,000 miles and it had the cambelt done what else is there i should check and get done on the car. many thanks also has any one got a 172 rear bumper in silver ???

172 A Cupwork Orange™
have the baffles gone perhaps ? or are they going, get under the car and tap the middle box see if u can hear anything bouncing about rust and such worth checking mate

53' 172 Cup
maybe manifold knocking - i had this happen, only wen flooring it in 1st and 2nd. check the engine mount on the top it may have some play or if not try lossening it then pull engine forward and retighten thats how i solved mine.

clio
i tapped the cat and i heard a little nosie not much tho.i bought a new cat so i will get that fitted then see if that solves it.thanks for you help.are the engine mounts have to do???

53' 172 Cup
no. loosen off the bolts (shown in the pic) and pull the engine towards you - like i said this was how i cured my problem but it may not be the manifold causing your problem!
ClioCup018-1.jpg

172 A Cupwork Orange™
aint that more of a bang, when ur changing gear, the manifold hitting off the frame

megane 285 sport
i had a flapping noise whan booting it noramlly high in the rev range, nver found out the problem thou might be some plastics flapping?