ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 REVING PROBLEM

Clio 182 04 reg
Has anyone had a problem with there 172 contiune to rev at about 1500rmp after you have taken your foot off of the accel. To make it stop, all you have to do is tap the accel peddle.

I have has this problem for about 2 weeks now and is starting to get anoying.

Renault has told me i would need my throttle bodys cleaned, so i got that done at the cost of £60 but still did not sort the problem.

They are now telling me i would need NEW throttle bodys and this would cost £350 for the bodys and about £30 labor.

If anyone has a work around for this, please let me know,

Regards,

Cliohal

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I had this problem it was a bent spindle in the throttle body. Changed it and the problem was solved.

Clio 182 04 reg
Is this easy to do myself or would i need to get renault to do it or any garage?

Thanks for the speedy reply,

Cliohal

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
If you can get a throttle body and the gasket, its a simple job.

Only 4 bolts and a couple of hose clips..

Stick a wanted ad in here, thats where I got mine.

Clio 182 04 reg
Sweet as. If i get a new set of throttle bodys from renault under my waranty, i should be able to install it myself.

Do brand new ones need setting up if you know this?

Cliohal

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
There is only one of them !!!!! and no, it doesnt need setting up.

If the cars under warranty.....why are you paying for repairs ????

Clio 182 04 reg
They will pay for the parts but not the labor.

What a con!

But anyways, thanks for this. This has helped loads.

:star: Cliohal:star:

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
You should only pay if it solves the problem. You paid £60 for them to clean the throttle body for it not to solve the problem - IMHO thats s**t. I'd deduct that from what they charge you. Go and fight your cause mate.

Clio 182 04 reg
Get in. Thanks for that. Will give 2 renault garages a ring in a while and find out what how long they will recon to change it.

I think my local dealer is ripping me off.

Will let you know how this goes after 4.

:evil: Cliohal:evil:

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Well if they charged you £60 to clean a throttle body, and it didn't cure the problem, they definitely weren't Family :rasp:

Clio 182 04 reg
Just called my local dealer (Peterborough) and they told me it would take 4 hours to do the work and program the throttle bodys. I called the Renault garage in Northapton and they told me it would take max of 1 hour to fit the part and about 30mins to program it.

Watch out for the dealer in peterborough, they are very dodgy.

Looks like i will be going to northampton!

Thanks for all the advice,

:rasp: Cliohal:rasp:

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
if its a cable throttle change the cable, trust me if they hang on a few rpm when you back off its usually the cable!
also if it is a ph1 172 with a cable throttle and standard body why do the need to program it??

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Hang on, Program ????? program what.....it a Mk2 Ph1 isn't it. not fly by wire.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
reno stealers :(
especially camden northampton i would'nt trust them to tell me if its raining or not LOL

53 Clio's & counting
choice of 2 things i think

either cable getting old

or the t/b sticking,this is what mine does too,iv had my t/b off and cleaned it,made it better but still not perfect. i live with it lol

Clio 182 04 reg
Had the cable raplaced a little while ago, don't think that is the problem.

It is the MK 2 Phase 1 clio.

My local renault dealer is going to give me a refund for saying they had fixed the problem but they hadn't.

Any more info, feel free to type.

:lolup: Cliohal:lolup:

53 Clio's & counting
where the cable attaches to the throttle body (the black thing that looks like a 3/4 circle) get the the car running,raise the revs slowly so they stick,get under the bonnet and push the black thing in towards the throttle body il lay a big bet the revs drop to normal

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
i'd still put another cable on it and make sure its routed perfectly and try it again the ph1 cable is crap and has some horrid tight turns in it that create tight spots

Clio 182 04 reg
I don't think the problem is the cable as it started reving with the old cable on. That one snapped so i got it replaced and still have the problem. When i finnish work tonight, i get the car to rev a bit and then i will have a look at the black accel wheel on the throttle body.

Will let you know how this goes tonight.

;) Cliohal;)

Clio 182 04 reg
Had a look at where the cable goes in to the t/b and it was not stuck open. moved it round a bit and it stoped but still got the problem if you know what i mean.

Car goes in to Peterborough Renault tomorrow. Will let you know how this goes.

:butt: ClioHal:butt:

Mr2 Roadster
I have a fix for this, I went through 3 cables and two throttle bodies and it still did it.

It's a Renault Design fault, due to the original cable coming from the left side of the car and being shorter, when they made the UK spec they put a longer cable on and that's the problem.

I have sprung my pedal, piece of piss to do. The pedal becomes harder to push but comes straight back up under your foot and it doesn't stick.

I can get some pics up and supply people the springs for cost if I can get a batch.

renault clio 1.2 16v
hi wonder if you could help me ive got am 03 1.2 16v clio with electronic throttle.when the engine is cold as i hold the revs at 2000rpm the revs rise to 2500rpm and then drop to 1000rpm and fulctuate between. so far i have replaced the ecu temp sensor, tdc sensor and throttle peddle and is hasnt cured the fault.

renault clio 1.2 16v
ok thanx wen u say clean the throttle body do u mean remove the air filter and clean behind into were the air is sucked in.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
just do a search there's loads on here about the 1.2 revving odd and cutting out ect. especially cutting out

clio 182
It's a Renault Design fault, due to the original cable coming from the left side of the car and being shorter, when they made the UK spec they put a longer cable on and that's the problem.

I have sprung my pedal. The pedal becomes harder to push but comes straight back up under your foot and it doesn't stick.

Ph1

I have sprung my pedal. The pedal becomes harder to push but comes straight back up under your foot and it doesn't stick.

Heard someone say this before.

When its sat at 1500 rpm all the time there's more to it than a design fault, it shows a problem with the car.

Most common over reving problem with these phase 1's is the spring on the TB becoming worn. In the past ive had leaking gaskets, dodgy or worn O rings and a sticking IVC causing problems with over reving / dodgy idling

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
interesting read this as mine has started doing it i just presumed it was a sticky throttle cable, ill get GDI to investigate on friday

Monblue bombay badboy!
i ha dthis problem with mine i fixed it myself. On the back of the plenum there is a sensor with vdo written on it i think its the idle control valve not sure tho but i replaced it and hey presto problem fixed got my spare one from a scrap yard. They are sealed unit but i got told that over time the wires inside break away from the sensor due to corrosion so i got a new one and fitted it cured problem. I opened the old one up and they were corroded like i got told.

Ph1
interesting read this as mine has started doing it i just presumed it was a sticky throttle cable, ill get GDI to investigate on friday

Good way of testing is as soon as it revs up open the bonnet and see if the TB cable holder part is resting back in the 'idle' position against the TB body.

If it isnt its pretty sure to worn TB spring or a dodgy cable