ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 run in period.

Anybody know what the run-in period is on a 172 - i.e. the No of miles that the car should not be taken over say 3500 revs. Cheers.

625 in my handbook, dont go above 3.5k.

1500 miles before "you can reasonably expect full performance."

a lot more than that in real life before it really loosens up.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Ye people are reporting that the engine is hitting its full potential at about 10k - 20k miles.

It only takes about 20 miles for the rings to of bedded, in and do it wrong ad youve thrown away a few % of your power and torque.

Add to that the fact that delivery kinda messes this all up.

the general consensus of opinion seems to be that the gentler you are in the early miles, the less hassle and dealer visits you have in later life. i.e. ragg it from day one and youll be on first name terms with your reno service manager!!!!

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine is really loosening up nicely now its hit 16.5k. I ran it in properly and havent had anything go wrong, other than the usual common 172 faults!!

Quote: Originally posted by admob on 10 March 2004

the general consensus of opinion seems to be that the gentler you are in the early miles, the less hassle and dealer visits you have in later life. i.e. ragg it from day one and youll be on first name terms with your reno service manager!!!!
I worked at the only dealer/agent in HK and my car was used as a demo car, and it was also the only car in the place never to go in for a mechanical problem.

Only thing that ever happened was a flat, a broken alloy (my fault), new wing mirror (also my fault) and a new oil cap cover which came off and burn on the exhaust manifold.

The rest had no end of problems lol.

Brakes, ive said it once and ill say it again. The traditional runing in method of gently gently catchy monkey for 200 miles is useless.

10 60mph - 5mph stop with increasing brake pressure is enough to burn the resins and bed the pad material, a final 80mph stop when they have cooled a tad is good aswell. Your aim isnt to remove anypad or anything like that, just bed the compounds resins together with heat and burn off residue.

But at no time must you come to a halt until its cold again or youll be left with judder from deposited pad material on the disc, often mistaken as a warped disc.

VW ....

It sucks having to take it easy running car in ,had a Mini Cooper S up my ass 2day ,then blew me away prob thinkin he was the dogs b*llocks & what could i do about it ...... :(

I could quite easily be wrong or I mis-uderstood, but...

Arent the engines put on a test bed before fitting? Therefore they come run in? At least thats what I was lead to believe...

I did take it easy in mine for a short while, then couldnt resist the tempation and opened Pandoras box!!

Just a thought, let me know if Im wrong! Nicely tho...