ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 sticky throttle

VW Potato

in the (almost) two years that I owned it, Ive never floored my car. I did today, in 2nd, and about 3/4 of the way down, the throttle had a sticky point. This is odd as the car is throttle by wire or whatever its called. It felt like the resistance you feel when you hit kick down in an auto. But I tell you this much...I suddenly found where those 172bhp live! Ill be doing it again. Has anyone else got a throttle that has some resistance in the pedal?

g

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Its a little black rubber button that your depressing when you floor the throttle that extra bit..

It was apparently part of the cruise control system and therefor is unimportant to clios without it.

No, its not the button thing, the actually pedal has a restriction in its design, which you can push past, but it gets you no more throttle, its simply gives a signal for the cruise control system to jump out of the speed limiter.

VW Potato

Daipac, it comes from my (mis-placed) believe that flooring it is pointless. There always seems to be a slight delay as the engine/ecu thinks hmmm, thats an interesting instruction. Dont get that very often. Does he really want full power?, then it comes along.

I personally prefer a strong, steady application of the throttle building the power. Im not saying this is better or faster, but i prefer this. I also like to hold it at 4k for a bit, then when you can feel the torque welling up, add a little pressure to the throttle, then some more and the car goes bonkers. This was true of my Golf GTi, and would turn my dads former Saab 9000 Turbo into a rocket.

g

VW Potato

dont get me wrong - i may not have floored it (i.e. mashed the pedal to the floor) but its been redlined in all gears up to 4th, but not by flooring it. I honestly dont think even when redlining it ive felt that resistance before.

Most of the time I drive quite slow anyway.

g

I see, I misunderstood what you meant, I thought you had never redlined it ! Phew !

If GirlRacer had said that I would have believed it though !

;)

6000 miles in 2 years I think it is !

I must have bought my 172 off one of her friends as mine only had 9700 miles on it and that was 23 months old.

I had a sticky throttle for a while - then the cable snapped - doh!

Previous owner must have done a lot of mashing, wife swears it wasnt her lead foot, unluckily it stranded her on a dual carriage way!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Mines gone as sticky as sh*t on a blanket...its also hanging on to the pedal by 2 threads...will be replaced as soon as I figure out out to install the new cable

Viceroy, drop me a PM if you want some instructions, its not easy, but sure is easier once you have spent a few hours working out how to gain best access like I did! new cable costs a very reasonable £13.